Author Topic: Filter? How to get this effect  (Read 2415 times)

Offline 59Graphix

• Verified/Junior
Filter? How to get this effect
« on: June 05, 2013, 03:01:54 AM »
I see this effect on occasion and never really looked at it. Is this a Photoshop filter or is it hand stippled? It is the 100% white to 0 on the black shirt. Same thing on the blue and orange and blue and white.
Has anyone done an effect like this or know how it's done?
59 Graphix "Est. 1989" • Screen Printing • Embroidery • T-Shirt Design • Fashion Brand Start-Ups
•••59 Authentic™

Offline abchung

• !!!
Re: Filter? How to get this effect
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 05:31:10 AM »
You can try to use "dissolve" instead of "normal" on a new layer.
Then do a graduation fill on the new layer to see if it is the effect you are looking for.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
I was going to say the same thing if to look for a faster, cleaner way.
To help simulate a more rounded speckle tho, try adding a slight random texture to that layer (merging the layer and texture). Don't use a texture with a high contrast.

Then I use a much lower resolution such as 75-100 and apply the dissolve to the layer. Copy/paste into channels, then blurr a bit to round off thr squares. now, hold down the control or camand key and click on that channel. bring the selection back into layers. fill with black. now, raist that resolution to match your original.

Another good and maybe better way is to use the noise, gravel effects. With same steps above.

The best way is to print out line art for a guide, lay paper over top, use black India ink and a tooth brush. Dip a little in brush, tilt in the direction and run fingertip over brush tips to flick a spray of ink in your desired amount. Dry and scan.  This looks more authentic. Random sized stipple.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:18:19 AM »
Isn't there a Rapidograph filter? ;D

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
Back "in the day" we used to use an airbrush with the pressure turned down way low to get that effect.

Nowadays you can airbrush in Photoshop using the Dissolve setting or use a hard-edged brush with Scattering settings turned on.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline 59Graphix

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »
Do any of you have a sample that you did or can do a quick Photoshop rendering that will simulate this? Post a picture if possible? I know this takes time out of anyones busy day but I would like to see if it can be duplicated. I am going to play with some Photoshop stuff that was mentioned and see what I come up with.
59 Graphix "Est. 1989" • Screen Printing • Embroidery • T-Shirt Design • Fashion Brand Start-Ups
•••59 Authentic™

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:02:03 PM »
A lot of times I will do my more complex (Ha! 4 color hand press shop) seps in p-shop and import/assemble/output in Corel. `Twas me, I would p-shop select all areas of a particular color, (through paths/channels/layers, etc. ,your preference) save that selection to a new pshop file in Grayscale, convert to b/w tiff...(you will need to invert image first because the new file will pop up as a negative image of your original sep.) Under your tiff options, select grayscale, then bitmap method, (dot type) should be "diffusion". Here's the rub, the diffusion dots are smaller than most of your rapidograph era hand stippled dots. If they are unacceptably small for your taste/needs, you will have to create your seps at a smaller percentage (of final size), assemble/arrange (ctrl "C" to center, ctrl "E" to vertically center) with one another in Corel, select all tiffs,  then enlarge until the dots are scaled where you want them...Clear as mud? LOL! Hope this helps!
( Please excuse the edits!)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:18:03 PM by Grumpy Ole Artist »
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.