Author Topic: What computer monitor should I get???  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
What computer monitor should I get???
« on: June 17, 2013, 09:10:56 PM »
I just bought a Acer labtop   ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314001&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Laptops+%2f+Notebooks-_-N82E16834314001&gclid=CO6SqK607LcCFc9xQgodCCgApg) and I want to get a 27+ inch monitor to use with it at the shop. I have been using a desktop and decided to go to a lab-top so I don't have to always be at the shop to do computer work.

I want a HDMI connection. I was thinking of going with a Acer monitor but the reviews are not the best. like this one http://www.amazon.com/computers-accessories/dp/B009DYF7FW  Looks like I can get a good one for around $300???

I just want to pass it by the computer guys on here. I have been out of the computer game too long and would like input before making a purchase and realizing I paid to much or got a monitor that the colors and text look like crap.

Thanks in advanced.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: What computer monitor should I get???
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 08:22:11 AM »
get an IPS monitor, the colors are more accurate.  aside from that HDMI seems to be the way to go, displayport is trying to unseat that, but with no luck thus far.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:20:40 AM »
As Brad said, IPS is the way to go.

'just bought a couple of these, could not be happier!

'no HDMI, so you'd have to get an adapter, but considering the value it is not even worth mentioning.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&sku=320-2807

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 09:21:45 AM »
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »
what is a ISP monitor? How does it differ from the one that I posted above? I have a dell Ultrasharp right now. Its a 20 inch square one. I thought this one (ultrasharp) was a rebrand of a veiwsonic, I could be wrong its been years since I have even looked at computers.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 02:37:03 PM »
in plane switching, it's better color rendering than an TFT monitor.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 02:41:54 PM »
one you posted is a TFT monitor. the IPS monitors are more color consistent and have a significantly wider viewing angle. Until just about a year ago, the IPS monitors were starting at $500, but the prices have fallen sharply recently. IPS monitors are still slightly more expensive than regular TFT, but in my opinion, they are worth the extra money.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPS_panel

pierre
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:44:21 PM by blue moon »

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 02:51:48 PM »
the monitor i have now was over $1200 when i got it. its old. I think it was the first flat panel dell sold. I got it in 2001 or 2. It has had no issues and is still better then the monitor on my new labtop. I am glad i asked about monitors now. I would of hated a bigger version of my labtop monitor. (non ISP

So this is a good one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260110&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-LCD+Monitors-_-N82E16824260110&gclid=CLii5LKe7rcCFeh_Qgod5B4Amg

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 03:25:25 PM »
the monitor i have now was over $1200 when i got it. its old. I think it was the first flat panel dell sold. I got it in 2001 or 2. It has had no issues and is still better then the monitor on my new labtop. I am glad i asked about monitors now. I would of hated a bigger version of my labtop monitor. (non ISP

So this is a good one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260110&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-LCD+Monitors-_-N82E16824260110&gclid=CLii5LKe7rcCFeh_Qgod5B4Amg

yes, that's essentially a bigger version of what I suggested. For $60 bucks extra, you could by 2 23" monitors instead of one 27". If going on a laptop, that might not be releveant, but I thought I'd throw it out anyways . . .

pierre

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
2 monitors would be nice. I think a 27 inch is just right. I like the vertical space.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »
2 monitors would be nice. I think a 27 inch is just right. I like the vertical space.

27 2560x1440 is where you wanna be.  Move on from the 1920x1080. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube