Author Topic: Removing failed transfers from 100% Poly with spot cleaning gun??!!??  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
We had a sleeve art job fail on about 140 pieces of Sport Tek 100% Poly shirts. It was a mixed bag of direct printing front and back, plus F&M Transfers on both sleeves. We actually have limited experience on SLEEVE transfers on Poly, and we think our time/temps were off.  But be that as it may, we'd like to try to remove a few and see if we can save the shirts. (doubtful to me, but I am feel compelled to try)

Our normal plastisol spot chemicals barely touch these transfers. In the past, we've removed the occasional cad cut heat press decal (with marginal success), but in this case the chemical just doesn't seem to attack these transfers.  I'm afraid that very much experimentation will only make the nearly inevitable replacement more painful, Oh Boy.....

Any ideas? Something "hotter" that won't spoil the black fabric?

Stan

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Try Albatross Vinyl Letter Removing Solvent No.1018.
We hired a young gentleman who apparently has trouble following a spread sheet on several occasions. He heat pressed some vinyl names and some plastisol transfer numbers on the wrong custom shirts. This stuff pulled the vinyl right off and just dissolved the transfers. We have used it on black cotton, blue mesh poly and a few black sport tech shirts so far without ruining them. The cotton ones if you looked real hard you could see a faint hase around the area the numbers were but once washed it went away.

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Thanks Binkspot!

I am familiar with the Albatross trade name, but do you know of a distributor?  I might be able to order direct, but they are East Coast if I remember correctly, and might be slower to Kansas than a Midwest warehouse.

I need to move on this FAST, or else reorder 140 Sport Teks $$$. It is for a local Porsche Race Team and they have another circuit event weekend after next.

Did you do F&M transfer removal? Did you use a spot cleaning gun?

What a headache....

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
I got it from Nazdar, one bottle actually shipped from Kansas, other from Jersey. Had it next day. It comes in a 32oz bottle with a squirt nozzle. Need to keep the cap on or it evaporates pretty quick. 

Used rubber gloves and just lightly poured the stuff right on the transfer from the inside of the shirt and started rubbing it off with our fingers. It would probably work in the gun though.

They were white 8" numbers from FM.   

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
as Brian said, that stuff works for vinyl. If the transfers are made from plastisol, try soaking it from the back and then just peeling it off. If they will not peel, then try blowing it out.
Between the two, you should have 90%+ chance of recovering the shirts!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
WOW! You guys have given me some hope. I'll be sure to update this thread as I learn my fate.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
What type of transfer were they?....Athletic or Fashion formula?....

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
You could try MEK too. You can probably buy some at your local auto supply Gunk Brake Cleaner, Green Can.

Nasty stuff....Gloves, good ventilation....yadda yadda.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
What type of transfer were they?....Athletic or Fashion formula?....

I don't know yet. My wife or one of the gals up front orders that stuff. I don't get too involved with transfers, sublimation, etc...unless something goes wrong. (I guess I should...) I'll try to find out tomorrow, but she said what she ordered is for BOTH cotton and synthetic materials.

And Inkworks, I've got a partial gallon of MEK on the shelf. I'll take a run at that in the morning, but I'm afraid to put that in my spot gun. "It might melt the gun" whispers the voice in my head. :-)  I should be able to dribble some on for a test though, since I have some anyways. Have you tried it?

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
I wouldn't put it in your gun, you shouldn't need to. Saturate the transfer/material and let it stand for 2,3-5-10 minutes, I sometimes lay a plastic bag over the area to prevent too much evaporation. Check for colour bleeding problems on dried shirt of course...
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
Re: Removing failed transfers from 100% Poly with spot cleaning gun??!!??
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 04:23:56 AM »
We had a sleeve art job fail on about 140 pieces of Sport Tek 100% Poly shirts. It was a mixed bag of direct printing front and back, plus F&M Transfers on both sleeves. We actually have limited experience on SLEEVE transfers on Poly, and we think our time/temps were off.  But be that as it may, we'd like to try to remove a few and see if we can save the shirts. (doubtful to me, but I am feel compelled to try)

Our normal plastisol spot chemicals barely touch these transfers. In the past, we've removed the occasional cad cut heat press decal (with marginal success), but in this case the chemical just doesn't seem to attack these transfers.  I'm afraid that very much experimentation will only make the nearly inevitable replacement more painful, Oh Boy.....

Any ideas? Something "hotter" that won't spoil the black fabric?

Stan

Stan:  I believe that this is the product that Brian aka Binkspot is referencing for the removal of mis-applied heat transfers.

https://www.sourceoneonline.com/item.asp?categoryID=0&sectionID=0&subSectionID=0&subSection2ID=0&subSection3ID=0&attrCatID=0&attrIDs=0&searchtext=albachem&catID=55&catTab=&productID=2337

Cost is $9.95 per 32 ounce bottle and Nazdar SourceOne has 35 units in-stock in Chicago ready for same day shipment if you decide to go this route.

Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 09:56:12 AM »
Thanks for all the replies!  Peter, the video in the link you provided was great!

This repair job just took off in another direction however, and for now, these shirts go into storage.  (Long story, but a resurrection, if any... will be in the future.)

I'll post back here as appropriate, but for now, I gotta go print shirts.

Thanks again,
Stan

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 04:54:47 PM »
The Nazdar stuff and the Brake Cleaner are both METHYLENE CHLORIDE. Nazdars seems to be as good or better pricing than the brake cleaner, but the brake cleaner is available everywhere, right away, and comes in a high pressure spray can. Get a custom made holster and you can blast off transfers from 5-10' and be the envy of everyone in your shop......... "Mr Clean" They'll call you.

Seriously though, I hope you do manage to save them when the time comes, good luck!
Wishin' I was Fishin'

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
Yes, so do I.

We have decided to reprint the entire job on new blanks, and save our relationship with this GOOD custy. We will then have some time to experiment, instead of being"under the gun," and perhaps sell him some "seconds" down the road.

We like happy customers (as we ALL do), and a discounted price for some additional seconds might be a winner.

It's a gamble....

DEFINITELY going to shoot a little brake cleaner on one right away. Sometimes it is on special at farm stores, like Atwoods, Orschelin, Tractor Supply etc. And you're right. The spray can might be handy. If the stuffs works, I'll order the quarts from Nazdar.  Good info, Inkworks. Thanks!