Author Topic: Need help with silver glitter  (Read 3425 times)

Offline thinkdesign

• Verified/Junior
Need help with silver glitter
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »
Well, I had ran out of the Union silver shimmer so I had ordered One Stroke Silver glitter. I didn't realize that it is just clear base with silver glitter and will only go through a 60 mesh screen. Well I need to print this on royal blue 100% cotton and wondering if I need an underbase. If so should the underbase be white? Anyone printed with this stuff before?

Thanks

Joel

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Need help with silver glitter
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 02:08:42 PM »
60? That's pretty fine for glitter. Union recommends 25 and I thought that One Stroke recommends 25-38.

It's been almost twenty years since I have cleaned up glitter residue in the shop (and my hair), but the Union stuff required no underbase. Then again, twenty years ago, underbases, in general, were not as standard as they have become, though certainly were used.

Joel, I'm moving this over to the Ink section.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline thinkdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 02:25:43 PM »
The only reason I said 60 is because that is the lowest mesh I have, unless I pop a screen out of my window. I tried putting it through the 60 and it wend though, but not very good coverage.  All of my ink suppliers I use are a two day delivery and I need them printed by Wed. So I was looking for a solution today. I may try to experiment with the 60 and an underbase tomorrow. I just don't want to give my customer crap. This is a good customer so if I have to overnight a quart I will or see if my account with Source one still works.

I appreciate your quick reply Frog.

Thanks

Joel

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 02:41:35 PM »
Yep, I bet that almost every shop that tries glitter for the first time is amazed at the gaping openings in the required screens.
Glitter is a really different animal than shimmer.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:25:32 PM »
no underbase necessary, and we use 36 mesh. You can put a colored underbase below the silver glitter to tint it somewhat...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »
I've used 85 with happy customers. No Underbase.
Union says "Use 60-86T (24-36T metric) monofilament."
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 10:33:04 PM »
I've used 85 for shimmer with happy customers. No Underbase. Your question is a but confusing though. Glitter or Shimmer?
For Shimmer, Union says "Use 60-86T (24-36T metric) monofilament."
For Glitter, Union says "For direct printing use 20-25T (8-10T metric) monofilament. For transfer printing 25-33T (10-12T metric) monofilament is recommended."

EDIT -->NEVER MIND, NOT CONFUSING, I SEE YOUR TALKING ABOUT GLITTER.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 10:43:07 PM »
The first glitter mesh I used was 16T... made a good collander. Each shirt weighed about a pound, that sample quart didn't go to far. Oh, and just try stapling mesh like that (yep, staples, it was a long time ago)

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline thinkdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 12:24:34 AM »
Well, since I can't order new low mesh frames or silver shimmer until Monday I guess I will try to print the glitter through 60 mesh with a white underbase. What else would I rather be doing on a Sunday (mow, relax, visit family, margaritas on the deck) ;)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 12:36:16 PM »
Well, since I can't order new low mesh frames or silver shimmer until Monday I guess I will try to print the glitter through 60 mesh with a white underbase. What else would I rather be doing on a Sunday (mow, relax, visit family, margaritas on the deck) ;)

Use a gray underbase or the white will show through as the base for gllitters is usually clear.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 01:10:57 PM »
Just a note, a wee tangential, but One Stroke will mix glitter in a specified pigmented base on request. I don't know if that detracts from the reflectivity or not.

Offline thinkdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 11:32:57 PM »
Well I printed one and showed it to the customer. It is a bit too "bling" for him, but they are for a girls basketball camp so he thought they would love them. I used white as an underbase, but I may try the gray, at least a light gray.

By the way Frog, I now know what you mean by it taking a year to get all the glitter out of your shop. It's everywhere.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 09:47:40 AM »
I just printed a shimmer/small glitter mix I have here through a 60 mesh.  It worked great.  It was a royal blue shimmer/glitter on black and we pfp the blue and it worked awesome.  No underbase.

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 07:21:57 PM »
I might add, be sure to check the ink mfg. curing instructions, as I did not the first time I printed silver glitter, and the ink came off.  The glitter seems to reflect the heat, and will not cure at normal plastisol temps.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 08:08:27 PM »
all metallics, shimmers,glimmers, sparkles and glitters are going to reflect some of the heat back, so yes, good advice.