Author Topic: 80 base/20 d-white?  (Read 2494 times)

Offline ScreenPrinter123

80 base/20 d-white?
« on: July 24, 2013, 07:49:44 AM »
So, I should have no cracking issues with 80 base/20 d-white for an underbase for plastisol colors -- got an 8 color job and it's going to be fun ... NOT.  And the only way to even have a chance of doing colors on top of a dc base is by adding d-white -- purple shirts... :-(.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: 80 base/20 d-white?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:51:59 AM »
Purp shirts careful!!!!

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 08:21:42 AM »
And, will said cracking be noticeable immediately or only after wash?

Tony, is that you're nice way of saying to use plastisol ub? :-)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 09:52:54 AM »
It's the white in the mix. I'm not a big fan of using Dwhite in the underbase for plastisol to sit on. The particulates of the white prohibit the plastisol from attaching it'self to the shirt fiber. We ruined a 600 piece order going that route, will NEVER do that again lol. Also, you will need actually more time in the dryer now since you have to be sure, 100% of the water from the discharge is out of the shirt before your plastisol will even begin to cure. Slower process to be sure of that full cure. We have been doing the discharge base with plastisol finish coat for a few months now every day and that's what we have found. Also, don't put any additives in your discharge base, ie: fixer or retarder/ printgen, they will prohibit your plastisol from adhering to the shirt fiber as well. Don't water down your discharge for the underbase either, that is more water that has to be dried out of the fabric before you can be sure of your plastisol curing properly. Just stating our experiences with extensive testing before actually running orders and delivering to customers. It only took that one big screw up and thank God we decided to take home a few shirts and test before delivering the order to make sure or we would have really had a bumble. One thing to jack up a load of shirts, another thing to deliver the jacked up shirts. Any way, also, I've heard a couple distributors telling customers that they can cure CCI discharge inks in 30 seconds, BS, that will not work, it needs to be at least 320 for at least 2.5 minutes. Not just in the dryer for 2.5 minutes, but up to temp for 2.5 mins or it will wash out or fade fast. Hope this helps. I've also been doing some underbasing using CCI P-Charge mixed 50/50 with street fighter white, very soft finish and if you don't want to have a water based product in a particular run, it cures faster and works totally awesome! Nazdar has a good one too called Plast-charge additive you can mix these two products with any plastisol. We did some runs 20% P-charge, 80% plastisol lemon yellow, and an amazing soft hand finish and full discharge of the shirt for a sweet full plastisol finish.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
Mostly true but not exactly. Your results may vary.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
Mostly true but not exactly. Your results may vary.

when the die hard, super experienced guy like Tony does not say "DC All the way!" I would stay away from it. Go plastisol and know what you are getting yourself into.

My thinking would be that purple will not discharge well and you would need a lot of white pigment to make it work. Problem is, white pigment is chalky and it flakes off, so your print would not stick to the shirt as good as it should.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:56:36 AM »
Well, I'd never be so foolish in trying this the first time on a 600 piece job............ this one is only 500 pieces :-).     Decisions......decisions.....decisions.....

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »
lol. It looked so awesome no cracking after the dryer, we were in such a pinch that day we just went with it, biiiiiiiig mistake that will never happen again, you sometimes learn from your foolishness, or foolishness of others right lol :o ;D

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 12:01:41 PM »
oh yeah, consider Purple shirts like a royal blue, or a 50/50, they will not discharge all the way and they will alter colors. We have a couple customers who use purple shirts only, we tried, gildan, 5.4, and 6.1 oz, hanes, Am Apparel, Next level, Canvas, Anvil, Royal apparel, all the same results with discharging, just the nature of what ever dye they use. If that customer wants exact colors, go plastisol for sure, thankfully our customer is really progressive in their thinking had us use the pms colors they wanted and loved the weird out come, those clients don't come often but it's cool when they do.

Offline Spreading Ink

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 01:23:11 AM »
You may want to try Tultex -- it's the only true purple shirt that discharged all the way for us - we did a 13 color print with water base colors on top of a discharge underbase came out great.  American Apparel Eggplant discharged well too but it a much more 'red' purple.

Spreading Ink
3031 E Cherry St.
Springfield, MO 65802
417-771-3855
Vist us on Facebook!