Author Topic: Adobe Illustrator......"Pages"....???  (Read 5561 times)

Offline Rocfrog

Adobe Illustrator......"Pages"....???
« on: July 25, 2013, 09:40:40 PM »
Ok so I'm with a new company now and the owner is big on Corel (which I barely know) and he is not apposed to me using Illustrator as previous artists have used it but his biggest complaint is that for thier process creates multiple files where when he works in Corel he uses the "pages" to keep it all the components in one file.

So my question is.....is there a function like this in Illustrator????

Nick

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Adobe Illustrator......"Pages"....???
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 10:21:26 PM »
i think it would be layers, you would have to hide the layers you don't want and so forth.

it looks as though they added it in CS4
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/illustrator/ig/What-s-New-in-Illustrator-CS4/Multiple-Artboards.htm

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 10:29:03 PM »
Add art boards.......

Offline virgil427

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 08:39:35 AM »
Royster13 is right in illy thier artboards you can set them up when creating a document or you can add more if needed by going to document setup in top nav bar and like corel you tab threw in lower left corner

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 08:18:11 PM »
Or open the artboard palette and click on the new artboard icon on the lower right, or if you want to duplicate existing artboards and the content on them drag the existing artboard to the new artboard icon.
Photoshop works the same with layers and channels.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »
So I tinkered a bit with the art boards today, but it just seems like I'm doing double the work. I have to create a new art board and then I have to create a new layer to house the art that I want only on that art board. I guess the "pages" in Corel is kind of like a file with in a file which is what I was kind of wondering if Illustrator had. Although it did kind of help with the out put to the RIP software.

Nick

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 09:01:57 PM »
How long does the double work take you?.....About 2 or 3 seconds?.....Every new takes some time to get used to.....But once you do, art boards work really well.....

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 09:20:39 PM »
I don't think it's a time thing, I guess I'm just not seeing a benefit to a new art board other than possibly output to the RIP. Because it doesn't isolate anything, just puts a new "box" on the page. I could do the same thing with one art board and just move the layers off and on......

Maybe I'm using/understanding them wrong.....

Nick

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
Does your new boss store the components he uses to build the art on the other pages? I usually have a "starter" file, where I gather assorted components, mess with type and whatnot. I keep most of them off the page. Just this morning, I was putting together a landscaper 1 color left front, and had assorted images to go with the type as I hadn't settled on one in particular yet. You can keep all of your work files to the side, and when you save a jpeg or pdf proof, only the image actually on the page is displayed. When you get a response from the customer, you can open the same file and do whatever is necessary. When the final image is ready, you can put it on a new page with your printer's marks, or even set it up on your original, with your marks, and as long as the other elements are off the page, you should be fine. So, no extra pages needed, even though Illy will also let you set more pages as well. Since I don't do any paper printing art, I've never used their multiple page function, but I know it's in there. I hope this kind of fits your situation...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 06:40:19 PM »
In Corel he uses "page 1" as the customer proof, then "page 2" is where he starts setting up the "print files"....so page to would be the one color left chest with info and crop marks page 3 would be the full back and page four would be an under base. Something like that and aperently when the previous artist would do this in Illustrator he would just create seperate files, I get there are many ways around this with layers but I think I need to present it to the owner as if it is just lake "pages" in Corel which is why I was wondering if there is a similar function.

Nick

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 12:01:26 PM »
In Corel he uses "page 1" as the customer proof, then "page 2" is where he starts setting up the "print files"....so page to would be the one color left chest with info and crop marks page 3 would be the full back and page four would be an under base. Something like that and aperently when the previous artist would do this in Illustrator he would just create seperate files, I get there are many ways around this with layers but I think I need to present it to the owner as if it is just lake "pages" in Corel which is why I was wondering if there is a similar function.

Nick

create 3 artboards in the file. place customer stuff in artboard 1, design the front in 2 and back in 3. Then you can use the paages like in Corel to flip through them.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »
And you can rename the art boards to whatever names you want....

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »
I love the feature.
It certainly makes sense to have both the front and back of the Johnson Family reunion in the same place, and the idea of keeping the raw components readily accessible is a bonus.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »

Nick

create 3 artboards in the file. place customer stuff in artboard 1, design the front in 2 and back in 3. Then you can use the paages like in Corel to flip through them.

pierre

This is what I'm trying to do, maybe I'm doing something wrong but it doesn't seem to be a way to designate what art goes on which art board...just kind I where its placed. So there is no way to easily "turn off" art board one and only work on art board two unless you seperate them in layers and them just turn off the layers as needed, but I think that's where it seems redundant.

Nick

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 08:33:56 AM »
not knocking illy, but I can't believe it took this long to add that feature.  it's so simple and make life easier in so many applications.  It reminds me of the days before tabbed web browsers