Author Topic: Adobe Illustrator......"Pages"....???  (Read 5559 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Adobe Illustrator......"Pages"....???
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 09:37:04 AM »
When I switched to Illy from Freehand, that was one of the features I missed the most, but hey, better late than never. Now if the could only revive Freehand's text in a circle feature. If you wanted type on the top and bottom of a circle, you would type it on 2 lines, then attach it to a circle. It would automatically split the 2 lines to the top and bottom, perfectly centered. Illy's type on a circle is a PITA compared to that, but I can still do it, just a lot more steps.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
When I switched to Illy from Freehand, that was one of the features I missed the most, but hey, better late than never. Now if the could only revive Freehand's text in a circle feature. If you wanted type on the top and bottom of a circle, you would type it on 2 lines, then attach it to a circle. It would automatically split the 2 lines to the top and bottom, perfectly centered. Illy's type on a circle is a PITA compared to that, but I can still do it, just a lot more steps.

Steve

You won't enjoy Corels type on a path either, one of the most frustrating tools in Corel for me.

"No man is an island"

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 12:31:35 PM »

Steve

You won't enjoy Corels type on a path either, one of the most frustrating tools in Corel for me.

Yes, Illustrator's type on a path tool is terrible.

Coming from an Illy user... I always found Corel Draw's type editing features to be WAY more better than Illustrator's. Type on a path, enveloping, letter spacing... Illustrator is and always will be a step or two BEHIND Draw as far as ease-of-use for type and layout... the thinking being that other Adobe products are designed for that.

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »

Steve

Yes, Illustrator's type on a path tool is terrible.

Coming from an Illy user... I always found Corel Draw's type editing features to be WAY more better than Illustrator's. Type on a path, enveloping, letter spacing... Illustrator is and always will be a step or two BEHIND Draw as far as ease-of-use for type and layout... the thinking being that other Adobe products are designed for that.

case in point, Illy just now with CC allows individual letters to be manipulated while still in the text mode. I've seen that in Corel years ago . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 10:29:18 PM »
I would use Corel more but I don't know how to "design" in it, I'm so use to designing in Illy that I just can't seem to function in Corel. I have been able to "function" in Corel and do basic stuff but when I need to design I do it in Illy.

I have been using multiple art boards the past couple of days and I think it's working, just seems like I'm missing something or it needs some refinement. Of course I am using CS5 so maybe it's been fixed in 6.

Nick

Offline Im-Magic

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 01:41:04 AM »
It seems to me that you are either a Corel person or an Illy person. I cannot draw in Illy but have to have it for all the graphic artists that have to have the latest version of Illy and cannot understand why everyone does not buy it the day it is released. My main function for Corel is Job Sheet on Page 1 and full colour Graphic followed by all the seps a page each. It might not be the best way but I have been doing it that way now for 19 years. I also like the fact that you can set the size and orientation of each page as we now do a lot of art for sublimation and are using very large pages. I am sure you can get around all of this in Illy but just clicking the + at the bottom of the page is very easy.
Stuart

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 10:04:12 PM »
That is the exact function I'm trying to fund in Illy, that's exactly how my boss has been doing his stuff for years. Very simple in concept but not as easy (or at least that I can find) in Illy.

Nick

Offline Im-Magic

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 09:05:38 PM »
I had a girl here who could only use Illy and could not get her head around Corel, so she used to do the design in illy then export it to Corel for separation etc. Not the most efficient but she was happy and so was I.
Stuart