Author Topic: OnSite 7  (Read 5901 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: OnSite 7
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 05:46:24 PM »
We've had shopworks for many years now and it's pricey but I read something from Ron earlier about being held hostage and that's what I feel like with shopworks.  No way we could get by without it now.  It's got us by the short and curlies and I wouldn't want to use anything else but if money got tight and we couldn't afford it then I don't know what we would do.  Getting rid of it at this point would be catastrophic.  I couldn't imagine not having something as robust as shopworks but you see I have mixed feelings because we're in too damn deep to get out now.  Our entire shop is in that program and when the server goes down or something happens to it we are on standby and the sales staff can't do much at all.  I love all that it can do but it's still not something I recommend whole heartedly like my other endorsements.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
alan...that's how it is with every shop management program.  I have a HUGE database in t-quoter, it would be almost impossible to switch at this point.  When the server is down, i return emails and make coffee, because I can't do sh!t.

Offline Ron Pierson

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 10:09:39 AM »
Hi All...
I guess that anytime we depend on PC's (or MAC's) we are held hostage by this tecnology. If the lights go out anywhere within these systems - we are alll screwed no matter which "program" we are on. We went to Shopworks in Jan this year from a VERY old management system. With Shopworks - because accounting is built within it - an accounting fiscal start was a REAL GOOD IDEA!! Yep...at first glance, it looked like it was going to fail or at least be a HUGE issue - not so. There was a transition for sure but the people who had been with us longest had the greater issue - (that would be me, most of all - LOL). The "newbes" transitioned quite well. The plan was to have a "crash test dummy system" that we worked on for a few months BEFORE we went live. We explored all the bugs and issues we would hit and trained ourselves through it. This method worked out quite well. Shopworks can be designed around the way YOU run your shop. Thats what made the decission for us when deciding to switch. MUCH planning and research was done before we even concidered the changeover. I recommend that you study, plan, and do it again and again before making a choice. Listen to all advice here and elswhere, but in the end, make your own choice - you only want to do this kind of thing once - trust me on this!!

Ron