Author Topic: It was there for a reason...  (Read 1787 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
It was there for a reason...
« on: July 29, 2011, 07:10:01 PM »
Very high Heat and electrical wiring don't play well together. Stuff gets brittle, wire insulation starts to fray and if it was bolted together, it's fused.

Add to that a protective cloth sleeve around the wires to create some protective insulation from sharp metal edges so when they are ALL passed through a metal hole in the control panel, through another hole into the body of the dryer where they make their way to junction boxes and heat panels. When you make a repair to the wiring, you're supposed to pull the fabric sleeve back.. NOT CUT IT IN HALF!!

The sleeve was left off, the clamps bore down and time and heat just left with me 6 wires fused together in a sold mass.. the sparks and fireworks when it happened were enough to trip my main breaker..

Took me 45 minutes to hump through the repair, knowing it was only temp, to get the shirts printed...

JUST as the last shirt is exiting the dryer... bbbZZZZPPPOPP!!!  whole house goes dark again.

30' of fresh wire and a bag of porcelain twist caps.. time to make things right.

On a good note... I printed my first order today.. WB discharge at that!
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline dburgessjr

• Verified/Junior
  • It's all about MƎ
Re: It was there for a reason...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:49:23 AM »
If you want it done right, you've gotta do it yourself.

I don't know what they were thinking when they wired this place I'm at now.  I've got about 8 - 10 outlets along the 4 outside walls all on one 20 amp breaker.  Needless to say, I can have the flash and screen dryer running without tripping the breaker.  Add in the pressure washer, exposure unit, floor fans and its quite the juggling act.  I'm in the process now of having to wire separate runs for all the equipment.  Good thing I like spending money.  :-\

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: It was there for a reason...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:46:10 PM »
If you want to learn the basics of electrical just buy a screen printing dryer  ;D