Author Topic: Cloud based backup service  (Read 4156 times)

Offline SkylinePrints

• Verified/Junior
Re: Cloud based backup service
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »
Not a fan of cloud based back up.  Too slow often, and too small the rest of the time.

I prefer to keep an in house server to  back up our data.  We have over 10tb of data here, which is a lot for just 2 people.  But we do a ton of design work so our customers files are very important to them and us.  They know if they lose it, we wont!

Brandt, I agree with keeping it in-house for faster access but what happens if the building burns down or you lose the server due to hardware or theft?  20 years in IT, I've seen it happen to many times so I do hope you have some type of off site backup.   Like you said, your customers are dependent on you to have their files. 
Have a great day! :)
 Nathan Harrison Skyline Prints Embroidery & Screen Printing 4982 Bill Gardner Pkwy  Locust Grove, GA 30248  (770) 914-1558  www.SkylinePrints.com  Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/skylineprints or Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/skylineprints

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 11:03:43 AM »
Not a fan of cloud based back up.  Too slow often, and too small the rest of the time.

I prefer to keep an in house server to  back up our data.  We have over 10tb of data here, which is a lot for just 2 people.  But we do a ton of design work so our customers files are very important to them and us.  They know if they lose it, we wont!

Brandt, I agree with keeping it in-house for faster access but what happens if the building burns down or you lose the server due to hardware or theft?  20 years in IT, I've seen it happen to many times so I do hope you have some type of off site backup.   Like you said, your customers are dependent on you to have their files.

Absolutely we do.  We bring in a 2TB drive for important data once a month and back it up and take it home. 

Everything here is redundant as hell.

My computers all have separate data drives, so if the harder worked OS drive dies or needs re installed no data is effected.  Additionally each computer has a external that copies exactly the internal data drives.  Then the server each night copies each whole computer. 

Pretty safe id say.  Overkill probably.  But that's smarter in my book.  I could loose the sever and the main computer.  Still got the external and a at worst month old copy at home.  Or combinations of that. 

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 06:35:06 AM »
We use backblaze.com for our backups. It's $5 a month for unlimited storage. It backs up in real time over the internet. The cool thing was i had a piece of art, it was only on my computer for about 30 minutes. I thought i was done with it so i trashed it. Then realizing i needed it i was able to pop on their website and sure nuff.. It was there for me to redownload.

Can't say enough good stuff about backblaze.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 07:56:17 AM »
We use backblaze.com for our backups. It's $5 a month for unlimited storage. It backs up in real time over the internet. The cool thing was i had a piece of art, it was only on my computer for about 30 minutes. I thought i was done with it so i trashed it. Then realizing i needed it i was able to pop on their website and sure nuff.. It was there for me to redownload.

Can't say enough good stuff about backblaze.

Its great for smaller files, our issue with online backups is size of files and our internet connection is not the best in East TN.  (10 down/ .896 up)  Which is horrible.  I came from Philly area before this, I had 70 down, and 30 up.  LOL

We have several Terra bytes worth of data, sending it up to the cloud, would take forever on our connection.  I am also not into trusting people with my files. 

Works great for some though.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 09:15:11 AM »
We have a T1 here, so speed isn't an issue.

I ran into that the other day, somehow a file disappeared after a restart.  I probably saved it in the wrong place and deleted it, but anyway, there is was, on carbonite.  All I did was download it and it saved me a couple hours of work.

Offline shurloc

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »
Something that I haven't seen mentioned yet is good old Microsoft SkyDrive... It's a freebie 25GB service for doc, image and other file storage that can be linked to a free hotmail/live account. Not the most efficient system on the planet, but for backing up those, "Once every few months" files it's a great option.
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline squeegee

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 12:46:18 PM »
Just found this company this morning, Myotherdrive.com.  I have to check them out completely but they have up to 10TB plans available.  Price is reasonable $110/yr 500GB, $240/yr 1 TB, multiple machines, NAS, external, thumb, ROM drives supported under one account.  Claimed support for Mac.

http://www.myotherdrive.com/dyn/actions/viewRegister

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 01:54:26 PM »
How are those prices reasonable?.....Carbonite is less that 60.00 a year for unlimited....And what size is enough?....I have 123,533 files and 123 GB of data backed up..

Offline squeegee

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 07:11:59 PM »
$60 on carbonite only gets you one machine, no NAS support is offered at all.  I have multiple machines I want to back up, plus a NAS.  Carbonite seems good for single users but is not network friendly so far.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 08:37:29 PM »
$60 on carbonite only gets you one machine, no NAS support is offered at all.  I have multiple machines I want to back up, plus a NAS.  Carbonite seems good for single users but is not network friendly so far.

It seems I spoke too soon.....Sorry about that!...