Poll

What do you print your seps on to?

Laser printer Transparencies
Laser printer Vellum
Inkjet Films
Low end imagesetters (Thermal wax or inks)  Oyo, Calcomp, Eco Pro etc.
High end imagesetter (wet films) like photography via chemicals
Direct To Screen (DTS)
OTHER - Please specify below.

Author Topic: Printing films POLL  (Read 8064 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Printing films POLL
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 04:17:39 PM »
trust me , I wish I had a image setter, I've had them... But this system keeps us competitive with pricing while offering a better profit.
I've been using it since Adobe© invented the post Script language and have numerous awards with the prints...

Well, Lord knows, I've talked about the  HP 4 mv's and the Canon Engine cousins under two other brand names over the years, and I myself still use a larger Minolta QMS 2060, but the lasers are certainly losing favor.
I know that some of the Xante's advertised some sort of shrinkage compensation, but I don't know what that entailed.

The other knock by dot connoisseurs, is the generally less precise dot shape achieved with laser.

In the end, no one is going to argue with your success though, and, besides, we love a rebel!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »
Thanks Andy, for touching on that sore spot. You know i suffer from DOT ENVEY ::)

To better Illustrate the problem I have created some 8X10 Glossies for a VINS ( Visual impact on the Nero system.)

You know I stay up some nights worried that my clients will tell me the stunningly beautiful shirts I gave them have come under fire by people viewing them under microscopes and noting that the dots where just not quite as perfect as the shop that charges more for set-ups? :-[

Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »

You know I stay up some nights worried that my clients will tell me the stunningly beautiful shirts I gave them have come under fire by people viewing them under microscopes and noting that the dots where just not quite as perfect as the shop that charges more for set-ups? :-[

You mean that you don't "skip to my Loupe, my darling"?

Offline DraginInk

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 05:03:49 PM »
I have to say... I like bubbles 8)
Here we go ...again

Offline Artelf2xs

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 06:01:06 PM »
WE? who invited you?  ;D

I assume that's some sort of insult? Good thing I'm just too dim witted to figure it out! :0
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:06:31 PM by Artelf2xs »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 06:58:23 PM »
trust me , I wish I had a image setter, I've had them... But this system keeps us competitive with pricing while offering a better profit.
I've been using it since Adobe© invented the post Script language and have numerous awards with the prints...

Well, Lord knows, I've talked about the  HP 4 mv's and the Canon Engine cousins under two other brand names over the years, and I myself still use a larger Minolta QMS 2060, but the lasers are certainly losing favor.
I know that some of the Xante's advertised some sort of shrinkage compensation, but I don't know what that entailed.

The other knock by dot connoisseurs, is the generally less precise dot shape achieved with laser.

In the end, no one is going to argue with your success though, and, besides, we love a rebel!

Hi Andy, we have a Xante ScreenWriter 3, though we mostly output through our 1400. On the Xante, they have a special test page for you to print out with various lines and boxes. You print it out, and then, with a ruler with gradations of 1/10th mm, you make measurements from the lines to the edge of the page, and write those numbers into the boxes next to the lines (to help one remember) then open up ScreenWriter software (it's getting fuzzy now, it's been a few years since we had to do it) type the appropriate numbers into the appropriate boxes, and all of your films will register. This has to be done for each size page you print, and for each type of media, vellum or their own translucent film. It works well, and was all we used for quite some time. If you need to produce a single film from a previous file, it will fit the older films.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 07:06:28 PM »

I assume that's some sort of insult? Good thing I'm just too dim witted to figure it out! :0

Loupe, I say loupe boy, don't you get it? A reference to the magnifier the dot freaks carry around!

Watch out for the dot detective!  ;D

I'd say the dot detective has some edge definition issues himself!

Point taken and rectified! Now, no one who is just showing up will know what you meant. lol!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:09:26 PM by Frog »

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 07:24:53 PM »
I'd say the dot detective has some edge definition issues himself!

Offline Artelf2xs

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 07:26:18 PM »
I getting old Andy, I thought that was a printer' Loop... Went right over my little knogen Cuz'n I cant's pell!

I know how to spell Daught toe'n Dan tho.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »
Pfftt.   Artelf....has shrinkage issues. :o   Bwahahaha.  ;D Someone was gonna so I did.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 09:15:18 PM »
George could sure have used you, as I suspect his shrinkage prevented him from achieving perfect butt to butt registration that weekend.  ;D

I love your Seinfeld references. . .

Well, I had a HP Laserjet4 and 4MV and I DID experience shrinkage frequently.  Using special Laser Film.

And was no cold water around. 

I use Inkjets now.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Catnhat

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 09:45:29 PM »
Epson 1400 with BlackMax & Accurip.  Sharp 2600n with postscript option can be used if the Epson goes down.  And a HP9800 with ghostrip at home for playing around.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
Epson 1400
Epson 3000 (have not started using yet)
Accurip
Fixxon's film

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 05:45:06 PM »
My only suggestion is to have a back up printer . Learned that the hard way. . .if you can't produce films, you are sunk.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »
My only suggestion is to have a back up printer . Learned that the hard way. . .if you can't produce films, you are sunk.

I think I may start a separate thread about what pieces of "backup" equipment keep in the shop.