Author Topic: top color over under base cracking  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Du Manchu

• Verified/Junior
top color over under base cracking
« on: September 10, 2013, 10:07:38 PM »
Quite often when we print a darker color on top of an under base (like red), we struggle with the red splitting or cracking and white showing through due to the  stretch from pulling the shirt off the pallets.  Yes, it's when our board tack is fresh but you gotta have the stuff.  Not super crazy tacky.

Any ideas or tricks out there?  Possibly an over flashed base?

Thanks much.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
top color over under base cracking
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 10:48:02 PM »
I had this happen once and I dialed back my flash time don't know if you have the same issue but might be worth trying. I recall it was also red.

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Re: top color over under base cracking
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 10:49:12 PM »
My vote goes to over-flashed base.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 11:05:19 PM »
As does mine
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:28:33 AM »
I can throw in with the over flashed base also.
Here are a couple of SUGGESTIONS for you to test out.

#1 print red on the white base directly after you flash the white ESPECIALLY  if you are overflashing the white. Yes the white will be hot and sticky  test you time & brief cool down but having the underbase overprinted this way SOMETIMES works better for us in similiar situations.
This works best if the red covers most of the underbase and you do not have a bunch of underbase that will get covered by another color later.

#2 When the print is done flash it all again and then peel your shirt hot so to speak. The hotter pallet tends to release the shirt easier.

#3 if you have just recoated your pallets and they are tacky enough to trap mice dull them down ...take a sweatshirt or screwed up hoodie , basically fleece and load it on the pallet and press it down with your hands.Peel it off leaving the inner fleece on the pallet this will dull it down some to a bunch depending on how much fleece you can leave behind. The pallet will still hav enough tack to hold a tee sufficiently.
If that doesn't work sprinkle a little baby powder on the too sticky pallet and then brush it off with a stiff brush brush like the brush  you use to apply wall paper, we do this all the time it works well for us when the pallet will not pass the mouse test ;)  .

Lastly if you are using water base tack cut it with some water, we use an approx 60 / 40 mix tack to water and throw in some food coloring (color of your choice) so we can actually see the coverage when we roll it on.

Give it a test ....it may work for you.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »
Not to knock MooseMan , but printing red right after a flash is asking for trouble on anything that prints after that especially wet on wet unless red is the last color your going to print.  I do agree with a flash just extra time, but I would double stroke the red or at least make sure you get a nice first cover of red then pull the shirts off from the back and front, which will help in not cracking your print.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 01:52:28 PM »
Can also give a maxopake/high opacity red a try through a high mesh since it will have more "body".