Author Topic: Commercial Printing / Stock / Paper / Whatever  (Read 832 times)

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
Commercial Printing / Stock / Paper / Whatever
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:01:44 AM »
Anyone here do commercial printing in house? I'm reading about meter clicks, and us paying the company per copy that we make, and all this stuff and am wondering if this is industry standard?

I'd love a crash course on this industry if anyone knows of a website or something I could go to. Also would love to hear personal experiences and what you do at your place!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Commercial Printing / Stock / Paper / Whatever
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:11:17 AM »
As far as BizHub type of "central office printers" go, that is common practice.  Not sure I think it's the most economical way.  But that is the route many go so they don't have to worry about things.  You basically are leasing the machine and the per print fee covers all your toner and such.  They come in and do maintenance on it.  If you don't want to get involved in that then it's not a bad option.  Most of my clients do this.

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »
Just to clarify, I do want to get into this as a business. Selling printing services, etc., not just using this for in house.

The one I was looking at/being sold on was a Canon 7055

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:59:16 PM »
In that case, PERSONALLY, I'd say learn to do your own maintenance in house and just buy it vs the whole maintenance plan.  You have to figure they aren't doing all that for free!

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 01:47:22 PM »
Exactly, that's why I'm trying to figure out what the big boys are doing. This is just the first sales guy that I've talked to and he tells me that this is kind of "industry standard" and that everyone around me is doing things this way. I'm thinking that not everyone does it.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:24:43 PM »
I have a few friends in that business but they aren't that close.  Just industry associates that I call on when I have problems with their machines and we are friendly.

Sorry, I couldn't help you more... but I do know that the guys that come out and work on them aren't anything more than trained monkeys.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »
That's pretty much the norm in the printing industry for leasing equipment or service contracts. Some printers will run things 2 up on 11x17 etc to cut down on the click charges.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »
If it were not for "personalized direct mail" my friend who owns a UPS store would be out of business...Digital printing is too expensive to compete with trade printers.....When he can buy printed post cards and flyers for slightly more than blank paper it is very hard to justify doing it in house....He used to have 4 machines and is down to 1....

PS.....Did i tell you he "hates" Vista Print....