Author Topic: Squeegees  (Read 8690 times)

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
Re: Squeegees
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 03:38:37 PM »
I've always used 70 durometer.  What's the reasoning (or advantages) behind the triple (70/90/70)?

Someone told the proper applications for the different durometers before. A real bear to find again (bookmark feature would be awesome!).
I hope they post it again.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 05:38:15 PM »
Hello,

we have here a squeegee system called RKS-Rakel (Rakel = squeegee). These squeegees are flatstrokers dream.
You get the parts even for manual use. The results are perfect
Here is a link:

RKS-Rakel
http://www.rk-siebdruck.de/rks_systemrakel.html?&L=0

Unfortunately everything is in german.

Good luck

Burkhart

This is the same concept as the Newman "Constant Force" squeegees- control the angle and eliminate deflection of the squeegee.  How would these mount to a typical American flatstock press like a Tempo?
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/bndlstif/tempo.jpg
Note the square bars for mounting squeegees and flood bars with "U" clamps.
Or are these for a certain brand of press exclusively?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 06:00:10 PM »
I've always used 70 durometer.  What's the reasoning (or advantages) behind the triple (70/90/70)?

Control!  You get the soft edge in contact with the screen and the ink, which I find is easier to stroke and the lower durometers seem to have a knack for depositing more ink for some reason and you get that stiff 90 duro blade in the middle keeping the blade from buckling/bending.  I like 65/90/65 alright too. 

Here's the deal with the Constant Force squeegees:
  • You need your sh!t dialed way the eff in to use them successfully.  If platens and screen are not in excellent parallel just forget about it.  It's the give of a traditional squeegee blade that lets you "ride out" the parallel inconsistencies and still get what appears to the eye as an even ink deposit.  Truth is, most of us are not laying down as even of a deposit as we might think.  If we were, anyone could use the Constant Force squeegees and floods with success.  It's the nature of the beast in many ways, printing manually, to have the platens out of level- you need to spin 'em with your hands after all and, if you are like me and have a small tank for a press, you're reefing on those bastards all day so it's no wonder they're out of parallel frequently.
  • They suck to clean and you're stuck with buying the blades from Newman, which is not so bad, but it's very hard to get our suppliers to order up Newman items that aren't stocked.
  • They feel great to print with.  The squeegee just glides so smoothly and, as TP mentioned, total angle control of the blade.
  • They're made for use with, and excel at printing, on high tension screens.  Had my best results @ +55n

I have two of the Constant Force manual squeegees- a 60 duro and a 70 (maybe 80, can't remember now, it's green) duro.  The 60 duro has done some good things but cleaning it is such a b. that I tend to let it sit on the rack most of the time.   When experimenting with high tension I did lay down a two color print on top of a solid wet underbase once and it was crisp and clean.  Learn to do that and yer saving $$$/time but you'd have to have a dedicated, full-time perfectionist going around and tuning and measuring everything to do it consistently. 

For me, the best squeegee would be"
  • an aluminum extrusion built tall with the option to recede the squeegee blade into the handle or a way to extend the blade holders down.  I have some flatstock squeegees that do this, they have a plate for the backside of the squeegee blade to add stiffness as needed. 
  • a blade that can mount on an auto or have an attachment placed on it for manual printing
  • a built in seal to keep ink up out of the spot where the blade enters the holder
  • side seals and smooth contours for easy cleaning
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:02:23 PM by ZooCity »

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
I saw an internet ad a few months back for a regular aluminum squeegie that had an extension down the back side of the handle behind the blade to add stiffness and eliminate bending of the blade under pressure. Can't remember the name of it but it would allow you to switch out standard blades and get the same benefit as using double or triple durometer material.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 06:45:21 PM »
Any opinion on this with a triple durometer blade?

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/ErgoSq
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 02:43:21 AM »
Any opinion on this with a triple durometer blade?

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/ErgoSq

Used those and I hate em!
They were uncomforatable to hold and the 70 blade was hard to bend as it's not very tall, 60 blade worked better. Another problem was the blade comes un-glued and bows at the end losing it's flatness.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 12:47:36 PM »
Wayne, I've been pretty happy with the "ergoforce" ones from Nazdar.  No supernatural powers but a very solid handle with extra control.  Nice and tall too so you don't have to bunch up your fingers so much.  Put some 70/90/70 blade in there and yer good to go.
Can you send me a PM on who you get them from...and maybe an idea of price?  Tks
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
Nazdar

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 09:38:01 PM »
Profiencent ??? I think that is right was saying at one time that he had the greatest squeegee to be put out but it did not work on the V blade that I have so I never checked into it for my manual. I think Darrel bought some not sure but I do know that he has the  new improved version. ( Profiencent )

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 11:48:04 PM »
Thanks.  I ordered two of the Nazdar design ones that I'm going to be checking out in the next week or two.  They are ergometric with metal handles that slide for easy blade replacement.  We'll see.