Author Topic: Anyone can reccomend on getting this separated out?  (Read 2311 times)

Offline noiseloops

• Verified/Junior
Anyone can reccomend on getting this separated out?
« on: September 19, 2013, 03:17:54 AM »
the art came on photoshop. and i've been reading tutorials on how to go about it but all have just made me dizzy.

any kind soul mind showing me some steps to take and whether any traps should be set in place? its the textures in the text thats giving me a headache.

Offline abchung

• !!!
Re: Anyone can reccomend on getting this separated out?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 04:28:59 AM »
email me with high resolution. it is difficult for me to explain it with words.

thanks
Anthony.

Offline noiseloops

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 05:44:30 AM »
thanks anthony.

you've got mail. ;)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »
You have a 3 color there, Black, Gray and Royal(ish) Blue. Check out some you tube vids on spot color separation in Photoshop. Once you've done it a couple of times, it's pretty easy (said the guy who's done it 10,000 times)

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 08:35:34 PM »
I'd have live traced it... Looks clean enough to me.

Offline noiseloops

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:43:32 PM »
ok what do i do with the channels after this? do i print them from there or do i have to use iilustrator or something? i tried importing it to coreldraw but it just appears as a bitmap.

@gilligan live traced in illustrator?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:16:17 PM »
Yeah, or the like.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 08:20:48 AM »
First, your image you are separating should be a minimum of 300 PPI (Pixels per inch)at the finished print size. (I know most folks use DPI to express this, but that's just a pet peeve of mine.)

OK, once you have the three channels, each one has to be saved as a spot color. To do that, double click the first channel; in the ensuing dialog box, check Spot Color; click on the colored box, you'll get the Color Picker; click the Custom button, pick an appropriate PMS color for the channel you picked, and click OK.
Do that for each of your 3 channels that you've created. (Keep the RGB channels intact as well, as that will look better when you place it in Illustrator to print.) Now save the file as a DCS 2.0 format. Done.

Next, Place the file in a new Illustrator document; when you do this, you will see the file cleanly (that's the RGB channels) and the 3 Spot Color channels you created will be added to your color pallet. In the options of your color pallet, in the upper right hand corner, choose "Select all unused colors" and then delete them; this will clean up your color pallet nicely. Go to print, select your printer and page size, then click on Output, shut off all colors except the 3 channels you want to print, and you're off!

Steve

Though you could trace, it will look much better if you don't. Tracing does an inefficient job on small things like texture, and you lose the "organic" look of the texture.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline noiseloops

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 10:44:16 AM »
Thanks again for all the help. The client was happy with the outcome. Cheerios.