Author Topic: T-shirt boxes  (Read 3245 times)

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
T-shirt boxes
« on: September 30, 2013, 11:03:12 PM »
Anyone have a good source for white ones? I was just thinking about buying stickers and throwing them on blank ones when shipping.
But it might look odd on brown boxes because of white backgrounds.  Seems like custom printing on boxes are expensive.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: T-shirt boxes
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:11:07 PM »
We couldn't find the right size sold as "stock sizes" anywhere so we just had a box mfg. make us the standard cade size. We print them ourselves, super easy! 
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 11:14:56 PM »
we order blank boxes from a local box company (image that!), and we screen print them with cheap ass speedball ink.  Use huge screens, and do a two color print with loose reg.  Takes about an hour to do 100 boxes, 2 sided.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 10:28:24 PM »
What size boxes are you guys using... What prices are you guys paying?  I can't seem to beat uline with the places that I'm finding, but I'd like to!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 03:43:17 AM »
we ordered a ton of 19x25x15 for our first order (200 i think) and paid about 2 bucks a box.  It was much cheaper than uline and a few other online suppliers.  They also have no markings or branding at all.

The boxes are actually too big in my opinion.  They are cumbersome to move when full (they fit about 130 shirts max) and a waste to use on anything smaller.  Next round I will order 13x20x10 I think.  That should fit about 50 shirts using the flip fold and about the same folded in dozens.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »
We got whatever the standard Gildan full cases are, 21 x 16 x 13 or close to that if I remember correctly.  The were $1.60ea. for craft white(I think it was called) we offer them 1000 at a time. 
We also order 500 of ones that are 21 x 8.5 x 13. Those run $1.20ea.
Both boxes are white heavy cardboard, I don't remember the "crush weight" but they are the heavy 2 ply.

I would be interested to see what others pay.  I have never checked our prices,  I have been printing "favor" orders for a box sales guy since the first year we opened.  I guess I always figured he was hooking us up. 
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:42:36 AM »
We get standard blank boxes (not white) from a local vendor...

22x14x6 for $1.32 each
and
22x14x12 for $1.67 each

print them like mimosatexas with the cheapo speedball ink, just a quick 1 color print with our logo and info on it.... takes no time, and looks cool to our customers.

the boxes hold 2 stacks of folded shirts nicely, we typically fit 2 doz shirts in the 6" tall, 4 doz shirts in the 12" tall, (but there's room for at least several more) which really is all I want to be carrying at a time anyways, I hate those TALL gildan boxes that come with 12doz shirts in them.. what a pita to move around.

one thing we found, especially with uline, but other suppliers too, is that the shipping will kill you... none of them seems to offer free shipping... so finding a local vendor with will-call really helps save cost.  Our vendor is literally 2 miles from us.

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 09:45:54 AM »
We get standard blank boxes (not white) from a local vendor...

22x14x6 for $1.32 each
and
22x14x12 for $1.67 each

print them like mimosatexas with the cheapo speedball ink, just a quick 1 color print with our logo and info on it.... takes no time, and looks cool to our customers.

the boxes hold 2 stacks of folded shirts nicely, we typically fit 2 doz shirts in the 6" tall, 4 doz shirts in the 12" tall, (but there's room for at least several more) which really is all I want to be carrying at a time anyways, I hate those TALL gildan boxes that come with 12doz shirts in them.. what a pita to move around.

one thing we found, especially with uline, but other suppliers too, is that the shipping will kill you... none of them seems to offer free shipping... so finding a local vendor with will-call really helps save cost.  Our vendor is literally 2 miles from us.

Do you run them through the dryer?  Never used speedball ink before.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 10:04:06 AM »
yup... run them through with the dryer set at like 160 or so, and the belt speed as fast as it'll run.. any hotter or slower, and the boxes start to curl.

it's waterbased ink of some sort, soaks into the cardboard nicely and dries quick.

re-reading now, the original poster was looking for white boxes... not enough coffee yet this morning... LOL.
-J

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 10:35:07 AM »
The ink we use is Jacquard, it is what our vendor suggested we use. It works just fine, we let them air dry. Print them in groups of 50 or so, by the time you are done with the one side of the 50 the first one is dry and then we run the second side.
The box supplier swears he can get them printed for something like $0.05ea. but there is a couple hundred dollar set up for the plate. Problem is I can never fully settle on a "print" for them. I always want to change one thing, add something funny on the top flap, much easier and cheaper to do if all we have to do is burn another screen and see if I like it!
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 10:38:29 AM »
yup... run them through with the dryer set at like 160 or so, and the belt speed as fast as it'll run.. any hotter or slower, and the boxes start to curl.

it's waterbased ink of some sort, soaks into the cardboard nicely and dries quick.

re-reading now, the original poster was looking for white boxes... not enough coffee yet this morning... LOL.
-J

I'm not racist... I'm open to brown boxes as well. ;)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 11:39:21 AM »

ZING!!!!! You just kinda pined me in a corner! Thanks buddy.... :o
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 03:05:26 PM »
we don't run ours through the dryer, but it would definitely speed up drying.  The speedball will dry in about 5-7 minutes anyway so we typically just lean them at increasing angles against a wall or the dryer or a press or all of them at once depending on how many we print.  We have printed for a few clients in the same way, and you can do multiple colors pretty easily if tight registration isn't involved.  It's basically like printing cumbersome posters.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 03:43:11 PM »

Hey, you are in Minnesota, all you ever see is white.  Well, except for that one 4' tall dude purifying himself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 07:42:44 PM »

Hey, you are in Minnesota, all you ever see is white.  Well, except for that one 4' tall dude purifying himself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

and Kirby Puckett!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender