Author Topic: I've got a bad feeling about this one  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Sparkie

I've got a bad feeling about this one
« on: July 16, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »
I received an email early today asking for a quote on 950 white t-shirts 2cf, 1cb. I am told these are for a birthday party, which was my first hint of something not quite right...c'mon, 950 birthday guests. :-\

I email back a quote, one for me supplying the shirts and one for the customer supplying the shirt, which I think is the case. The email is not very clear and I believe english is not their first language.

Now I get a this reply back:
Thanks for your swift response,Am okay with the total cost.I will need a little favor from you bcuz i haven't pay the carrier and the photographer that will be coming for the pick up and he doesn't have access to credit cards facilities and am asking for this favor due to my disability and i am at the hospital undergo surgery in 4 days time..that why am asking for the favor I would like you to add an extra $1,250.00 to the total price of the order so that you can have all that charged on my credit card now and you will have the $1250.00send to the  carrier in cash via western union money transfer for him to be able to come for the packaging and pick up of the shirt with a truck van to come for the pick up also add $200 as a tip for the errand and western union charges for what you are doing for me , so get back to me with the grand total costs can you add it all and let me know the total cost plus the shirt price with the private shipper fee. Am Sorry for what ever inconvenience . And i believe you are professional.

Thanks for your understanding

This smells too fishy to me. What say all of you?
- Mark

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: I've got a bad feeling about this one
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 02:16:02 PM »
Standard scam. Seen all of the time.  Counterfeit money order or stolen credit card number will be refused at some later point.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 02:20:35 PM »
Run. Don't walk, the other way.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »
Dont even respond. I got an email from someone wanting 500 blank shirts and I respond and nothing and they keep emailing the exact same request

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 02:39:41 PM »
The scam flag went up at half mast for me when I saw the 950 birthday shirts, and went up full mast when I saw the reply to my quote. Anybody willing to pay thousands of dollars with no questions asked, no attempt to beat me down in price, AND offer me some bonus $$$ is too good to be true. ;D

Thanks guys!

I too just received an email from someone looking for blank tees. Haven't heard back yet but I think I know where it's headed. :P
- Mark

Offline prozyan

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 02:40:51 PM »
I will need a little favor from you

Scam or not, that line would be enough to make me run for the hills.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 02:41:55 PM »
I got the one for 500 shirts the other day.
I always like the ones that want hundreds of white shirts for "orphans" in 2X sizes. Those are some pretty damn big orphans.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 02:50:10 PM »
The wierd thing is in the email where they say who it was sent to (which should have had my email) it had an email address of another screen printer and it came to me. I dont know how that would happen.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 02:51:50 PM »
I got one last night from a guy in Florida wanting a dozen American Apparel shirts printed with 5 colors. Umm I am in California and you cant find a screen printer in your state to print a dozen shirts?

Offline Sparkie

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 02:56:01 PM »
These 2 new clients (and I use that term with tongue in cheek) will be informed that they are cash only until they have done $10,000 in business with me or sucessfuly completed 5 transactions with me. That should make THEM run for the hills. ;D
- Mark

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »
I replied to both bring the cash and we will order the shirts for them otherwise no dice!

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 11:01:28 PM »
I just ignore those.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 02:20:37 PM »
I got one last night from a guy in Florida wanting a dozen American Apparel shirts printed with 5 colors. Umm I am in California and you cant find a screen printer in your state to print a dozen shirts?

Not too weird... I print for a lot of out of state customers. Once printed 24 shirts for a band in Hawaii.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 02:39:19 PM »
Well, now that my surprise party has been ruined, are you going to print the shirts for my birthday party or not?

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
Not your typical scam email, but a recruiting effort I recently received for the Cult of Scientology. (How special this "church" must indeed be if they can print t-shirts on an offset press!!!

>
Subject: HIRING A T SHIRT ARTIST

Message Body:
Hello, My name is Erin and I work at Golden Era Productions. We are a non-profit organiztion and just recently acquired both a digital and off-set press for printing (t-shirts, etc.) I am trying to get designs done which really pop and I am looking for a t-shirt designer who can come work with us at our place in San Jacinto California, to design t-shirts, while at the same time training a few of our designers in the art of t-shirt designing. This would be for
4-7 days.

If this is not feasible for you, then possibly you can recommend a good t shirt designer that I could contact.  There a lot of t-shirt designers out there and I am trying to make sure I get someone with enough experience and qualifcations to work with my staff.

Your consideration of this matter is appreciated.

Thank you

Regards,
Erin

Training Officer
Golden Era Productions

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs