Author Topic: mixed media print  (Read 1445 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
mixed media print
« on: October 07, 2013, 07:59:53 AM »
I would imagine many of you have printed multi media jobs but just in case there is someone traveling at the same speed as me here is a job we recently printed on 12 ounce hoodies and tee shirts.
the text is typical two color ink work the fire truck is a digital graphic from Stahls.
We printed the text first then added the truck image post printing.
The Stahls image applies at 305 degrees which will melt standard plastisol ink. To avoid the problem we simply cut a platform from 1/4 inch thick stock which was sufficiently larger than the truck graphic and sufficiently smaller than the text allowing the ink to drop safely below the press platen.

we did 26 hoodies with no issues.
And yes the text looks crooked but really is the way I threw the hoodie over the box for the pic. I actually printed them just a little straighter than it looks :P
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: mixed media print
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 08:42:37 AM »
For how long does the transfer press?

305 is not too bad, at least compared to the 375-390 or so that digital transfers require.
I regularly press name drop vinyl at 300 for 10-15 seconds without ruining the existing plastisol print.
I do dodge it when I can, and you were smart to take advantage of the clearance for it on this one,
but in a pinch, the two media can often play together with minimal segregation.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: mixed media print
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »
Hi Frog,
the Stahls digital requires 305 at 5 seconds, peel hot and hit again for 5 seconds.
the black ink in the print may not have been an issue HOWEVER the red ink is One Stroke Versamax and from painful experience I know it will mush and flow at 270.
We often heat press some of our prints just to improve the the surface and feel of the ink, we hit most at 275 degrees but must drop to 240 to keep from ruining a versamax print and having the ink stick to the teflon or parchment paper cover sheet.

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.