Author Topic: Recommendation for quick ship foam for over the zip printing?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Recommendation for quick ship foam for over the zip printing?
« on: October 07, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »
We've been swamped in here and I've slacked on getting enough foam material in to run a larger order of over the zip prints.  I did email Rick Roth at Pierre's suggestion to get the package on what materials to use from him but no reply yet.  Last run we did for these we used a really thick foam that a foam co. sent us.  It was not the product we ordered (much thicker than what I ordered) but it worked.  I wanted to order enough right now for eight platens and from a source that I can get it reliably from. 

Anyone have a suggestion?

This is for the over the zip printing method where you use a piece of foam that covers the whole platen, no channels for zippers, and just plow right over it all.  The foam compresses and evens things out. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Recommendation for quick ship foam for over the zip printing?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »
Is anything quick to MT?

newpig.com has the good stuff.

Uline has usable "spill absorption" matts. Thinner but you can layer
if need be, and I think they have a self-adhesive version.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:43:01 PM »
No sir it is not.  Haha.

Which PIG stuff?  I get their catalogs and have asked them for samples multiple times (never received so never bought) but wasn't sure which one was optimal.  PM me if you want, and no offense if you don't wanna share. I know that over zip printing methods are something folks like to guard.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »
Neoprene does a pretty good job, either get really thick stuff or use 2 layers.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »
I use a combo of neoprene and home made channel platens on the manual, but would love to know what the good stuff is so I can roll these jobs out on the auto.  The neoprene doesn't do well with flashing.  Any help would be great , went on the pig site but there are a lot of options to choose from.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 07:14:51 PM »
We always just get our stuff at hobby lobby...... The foam they sell in the arts/crafts section...... We upcharge around $2.25 to print over the zipper so there's enough cost built into that to cover the foam cost. It' cheap so we only use it for the particular job we are printing.... We always get white foam as that holds up the best under our red chili flash units.... Here's a pic of a print we did about a week ago over the seams using this foam from hobby lobby....... If your in a hurry and have a hobby lobby close by I'd suggest that.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse