Author Topic: Your go to emulsion for halftone work  (Read 8069 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Your go to emulsion for halftone work
« on: October 15, 2013, 07:39:46 PM »
Which one is it, what are you using for all your halftone needs? I was hoping there is a good one from Murakami.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Your go to emulsion for halftone work
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 10:36:52 PM »
There is a phenomenal one from Xenon.  Nova.  Designed as a high detail emulsion.  I have not seen one better.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 12:18:12 AM »
I think we will give the Murakami SP-9500 a try. Easy to get. Would  love to try the Xenon but I doubt you have a distributer here in Japan. But feel free to send me some samples. We generally order a lot from the States but this time we a short on time. But yeah samples are welcome.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 02:18:35 AM »
Photo Cure Pro is much better than the SP 9500. 9500 is a little tougher to get out the low percentage dots where Photo Cure Pro washes right out. That has been our experience with the two.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 02:22:27 AM »
Photo Cure Pro is much better than the SP 9500. 9500 is a little tougher to get out the low percentage dots where Photo Cure Pro washes right out. That has been our experience with the two.
How's it hold up to discharge?

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 02:29:43 AM »
The Photocure is not available in Japan, that`s one of their products made specifically for the US market. Same for the SP-7500 which I originally wanted to order.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 08:06:34 AM »
I loved the photocure pro, especially on week light sources.  I used it for years. 

Right now I am using Polycol S from Kiwo, which is a single part emulsion.  It has realllly nice resolution capabilities, but only 38% solids.  Which is great for high mesh counts, but takes and extra coat for low mesh.

I think a great question to ask is - What's available in Japan right now?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
I really like the nova. Not a huge fan of the price. but the zero issues with detail, or breakdowns on discharge make it worth it.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »
We don't try to hold 3% 65 line halftones so HVP as a pure photopolymer and a strong light source has worked well for us.  If we added the diazo I know we could do even better with the detail but we get enough out of the HVP straight out of the bucket.  We've used the Polycol S that Colin mentioned and it will hold some very fine detail, but since moving to higher solids pure photopolymer we've given up some of that detail capability for faster exposure times. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »
CCI WR-14

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
Switching to this. Should be able to xpose @60 sec/units

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »
Aquasol HV all around.  Holds more than enough detail for us although the dual cures can definitely take it over the top if that's what's needed.  Ulano's Proclaim and Kiwo's Polycol Z always impressed me, I'm sure each emlusion mfg has a great dual cure for high detail. 

I don't see a need for the crazy fine detail for printing on most fabric, there's a point of diminishing returns.  Flatstock and transfer printing is a whole different situation however.   Where it gets interesting, in my opinion, on fabric is that other emulsion characteristics come into play aside from ability to hold detail.  The Polycol Z I mentioned has an insane RZ value and sharp/hard squeegee blades will glide over it like butter on a hot griddle.  Factors like this make the difference sometimes.  If the stencil holds it but you can't consistently get it down on the substrate...well what's the point? 

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 04:16:33 PM »

WR-25 exposed @ 112LU  (Later found that it should have been around 160)
WR-14              @ 56 LU

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 06:54:59 PM »

WR-25 exposed @ 112LU  (Later found that it should have been around 160)
WR-14              @ 56 LU

on my msp 3140 it still exposes slow.  180ltu
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 07:31:16 PM »
How's it hold up to discharge?

Not very well. It is not meant for that.

Right I am testing Kiwo one coat. Been through about 4 gallons. I like how it is working so far. Great detail and exposes super fast even with Diazon on our 3140.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin