Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Camaro
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »
Hi,

The art looks great!  Love it.

You will want to post (art) in the artist show your stuff section tho.  It's not a big deal, just not in the right place. This section is for (screen printed images) showing off the print. Not necessarily the art, although of course we always see the art in the print, but their are (art) and then there are (print) differences.  You want to highlight your art talents, not your printing talents.  We will eventually move this over there in the artist section of Show your stuff.

Thanks
Dan

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »
Beautiful, I like it even better than the boat, which was also beautiful.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:09:09 AM »
did you trace the car in illustrator and color it in photoshop? What was the process? I bought Jeri Clow's tutorial on car tracing and it's pretty involved...I've traced a few cars but never got to the point of coloring it. It's a pretty long process to partake in.
Mark

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 10:40:05 AM »
Very nice, the colors are killer, I've traced many cars and bikes, but just can't get the hang of coloring in photoshop, jealous of you guys that can LOL, again very nice post the print when its done.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 03:16:59 PM »
Well done although.......techically you are not allowed to print that unless you are licensed. I know, people do it all the time but I've printed a lot for licensed Ford, Shelby, Chevy, etc so just pointing it out and posting this on a public forum; maybe not a great idea. Would like to see printed graphics though

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 04:42:48 PM »
Now Tony, I remember the $hitstorm I started years back when I first joined TSPMB and posted a similarly provocative post in the artists' section.
Having served time in a large shop that actually went through the process was an eye-opener. Three separate licences to keep the Detroit big-shots happy.

Now, in the real world of enforcemant, I don't think that those guys hold a candle to their counterparts in Milwaukee or The Magic Kingdom of Burbank.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 04:53:55 PM »
Out of curiosity, is just the body style alone enough to warrant copyright issues? I don't see any identifiable emblems
or anything.

This is an issue we wouldn't touch with a ten foot stick BTW. Never come up oddly enough.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »
Having printed for some licensed folks like the local sports teams, you do to be sure that they are properly licensed, then it's no big deal. If Barret Jackson is the customer, I would think they know that and would have the proper permissions... I would think, I've been wrong before.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »
I remember the Shsststorm well.   As I remember it, and I've said this before on here,  we have a member on the old forum who was doing a calendar of car art for his car club. Somehow, FORD got wind of it and initially said "no can do". Thats a general statement from a script.  We had legal scripts we were to say when someone called our art department to ask about such questions. They all do. If you call up the legal dept of any org. large or small, the first response is going to be "no" as described in the script of any legal questions for any Co.

Now, once you actually get a hold of someone's attention and explain the details, you "possibly" could stand a chance depending on the details.  With that said, anyone who (does pay) for a license, is not going to be thrilled that you might get away with it and with FOrds blessings when they pay big bucks. So, (be aware) that you do run the chance of someone dropping a dime on you with the legal dept (if they so choose).

As I remember the end results of that shsst storm, you "can" draw any car (we were speaking of ford in particular) and they said they love the enthusiasm of all car clubs and would never want to piss them off basically. Then, they went into a little detail about what they would allow.  Here is the gist of it.  You can create any artistic interpretation of any ford vehicle and if you like, can put it on items such as calendars, tees etc. (BUT), they DO NOT allow you to put the FORD emblem on it, the make or model of the vehicle. You CAN make an "indication" and get away with it as long as it's not legible as a specific make, model or emblem.  They "claim" it's more so to protect them from legal associations of those who might do something with the car pics and makes, models or emblems that they don't approve of.  Like using the FORD mustang with the emblem showing clearly (while running over little kids). Ya know,  stuff people wouldn't pay $ for or wouldn't think that FORD should be connected with.

I personally emailed and then called a person at Ford who is a legal representative and asked my own questions. Same scenario. I can do what I asked as long as the above mentioned was adhered to.

So, basically, they are saying yes, anyone can draw a car and put it on a tee, but you can't make it legally identifiable as a specific make or model.

Those who pay for an actual license, do so with permission and probably make far more money as well due to the larger actual orders (for retail sales). They can sport that FORD emblem large and proud. We can't. That is a major selling factor of many designs.

Thats what I remember and experienced from it, although, I still put out the disclaimer that all situations are not created equal. Don't go by what I said. Get your own questions answered by the mustangs mouth. ;)  Get it?  Mustang?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 09:19:58 PM »
I would think the "SS" on the fender would be a no no