Author Topic: Short Run Bumper / Outdoor Stickers  (Read 2014 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Short Run Bumper / Outdoor Stickers
« on: December 30, 2013, 01:51:16 PM »
We get a lot of requests for outdoor durable stickers in short run. Mix of full color and spot color.  In the past I've run the full color through Zoo Printing (not us, but a trade printer also with "zoo" in the name) who offers low qty on this in a variety of sizes but the turnaround is long at 7 business days and the last cmyk I sent them was printed incorrectly and unfortunately, I'm not going to recalibrate everything on my end for one supplier that is off.  Anyone else out there offering this? 

We have a good local guy for some of it and I know a versacamm or similar is on our horizon but I need a supplier for now that can print reasonably color correct CMYK on outdoor vinyl stickers in short runs.  Recommendations appreciated and feel free to PM if you don't want that on a public forum, I'll reciprocate as much as I can.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Short Run Bumper / Outdoor Stickers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 01:58:51 PM »
7-10 business days is pretty standard but I do have a local source I use that turns them in 1-3 business days.  Thing is, he don't do "color correction". He prints what you send him. That's all he knows.

He's not much for holding responsibility. He gets it back fast but if something is screwed, he figures he sells it so cheap he ain't fix'n it. I'll be excited to not have to use him again.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »
To clarify, I don't gripe with trade print houses, I have our monitors reasonably calibrated (could always be better but it's pretty good) check my files carefully, pre-flight them in acrobat, shoot 'em off and know that they're going to just hit print.  It's true, they aren't getting paid enough to mess around and that's why proofing costs extra.  Makes perfect sense to me.

If something comes in totally off, I do try to find the problem to prevent it again but, in this last case, ate the cost of the mis-prints willingly.  If someone is unwilling to get onto the same page with color, I don't hassle them, just move on. With the cost of short runs fairly low and a lot of it getting drop shipped you just have to keep moving here and stick with what's good.

I do think all trade printers should specify the color space they want and provide templates and presets to save.  If you don't, how can you hope to get close enough? Color is subjective but only to a degree, it's the modern world baby, there are many tools at their disposal to produce reasonably accurate CMYK color prints.  We bust our asses to know our substrates, our inks and how they will interact, I expect similar from others in the biz. 

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »
Most sources are basically offering stickers at contract just because they can and it 's little effort. Anyone with the money can buy a digital printer but not as many "specialize" in providing correct images. Thats more of a skills position and I doubt many have it. THose that are offering it as a full blown out service (say, ASI) suppliers, and they may pay more attention.

I have that color problem with a dye sub printer in Cali. They do good business. Not a small or medium shop and handle very large orders, but they are don't pay attention to color correctness of the end result. For example, I just sent a pretty single color image to go on white tees. It was to be more of a baby blue and I got back sort of a purple. Obviously the magenta is spitting out too heavy. Color accuracy is not a priority but to defend them, I did not require a match, nor have I ever.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 04:30:46 PM »
www.tradenetcatalog.com

They print on waterproof vinyl using an HP Indigo press..... done 1,000s of orders with TN in past 11+ years....

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 04:43:15 PM »
I'll check 'em out.  Thank you royster.

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:51:19 PM »
we can do em!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
Eric, I'll shoot you estimate requests from here on out, send over pricing if you have it.