Author Topic: I hate being at someones mercy  (Read 5063 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: I hate being at someones mercy
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 02:41:48 PM »
We've been thinking about adding this to our lineup as well.

what's a decent used single head machine that doesn't cost a ton to get started with?

I look on digitsmith and the barudan's and tajima's are out of our price range.  And not knowing anything about embroidery the rest of the brands of machines don't really mean much to me at this point...

SWF is a great starter machine IMO.  It's still a quality machine probably 3-4th best out there, but later in life a Barudan really is a great machine.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »
Any particular model to look for or to avoid?  I have looked into embroidery a bit, but it always seems like the start up costs are prohibitive and the knowledge-base is all over the place.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 04:14:15 PM »
Any particular model to look for or to avoid?  I have looked into embroidery a bit, but it always seems like the start up costs are prohibitive and the knowledge-base is all over the place.

Barudan & Tajima are top shelf.  SWF being second tier.  I wouldn't buy any other brand than those 3, you can get by with many other brands, but heard a lot of stories.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 04:26:52 PM »
are there multiple models or specific features that are important to look for with those brands?  I'm assuming just like in screen printing that each brand has barebones/entry level models and nicer production models.  With some brands those entry level machines aren't worth owning.  Same for embroidery?

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 10:29:05 PM »
For a single head, look into Toyota also. I have bought almost brand new looking machine (Made in 2006) for a $6300 and I have just now sold software that came with it for $1100. So it cost me $5200.
It runs great, I prefer it over my 2009 Tajima Neo2.

Only problem with them are that they stopped making them. Some spare part are low on stock, but most of them are interchangeable with Tajima (95% the same machine).
I would not go any older than a ESP9000, older models are really low on parts.