Author Topic: well it finally happened  (Read 2990 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: well it finally happened
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »
We have a few Hopkins swivels with timers and proxies to prevent this. They are the best way to prevent this.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 12:52:53 PM »
Yeah, until then, I'm still working on a proximity switch wired to my presence and attention.

Mounting a burned board for prominent display is also a good reminder.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »
i always wanted to put an indicator light mounted about 2 or 3 feet above the flash so that you know it's on.  wire it into the power switch and it turns on and off with that. 

i have quartz flashes now.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »
Shane, just buy and auto... ;)

It's in the works Brad. I should have it all wrapped up very soon.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 04:53:31 PM »
Glad it wasn't worse!

How much is a foot pedal swivel?  Is there an easy/cheap DIY way to make one?  I have a diy flash (intek panel, cut sheet metal, high heat insulation, etc), but my stand is just a pole on an "X" with casters.  I always have to be conscious of whether the pallet is under it.

My unbreakable rule is if I am not in the shop, EVERYTHING that could start a fire gets turned off and unplugged.  Yes it takes a few minutes to plug everything in each day, but I never worry about something catching on fire while I'm gone.  One of my first flash dryers, bought used, was off but plugged in and I look over to sparks and flame coming from the switch.  I'm not an electrician, so I don't know what failed, but that was enough to convince me to unplug the flashes, conveyor, and heat press every night.  I have fire extinguishers in a few places too.

I have warped a few wood pallets over the years though from taking too long to fix something and having a flash on.  The smell is always a good early indicator.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 05:43:04 PM »
Glad things didn't come out worse mooseman, good luck.

Offline MrBreeze

• !!!
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 10:57:55 AM »
Quick solution...get a divorce or buy your wife a car.  :)
If it's so easy, you do it.

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 12:16:48 PM »
How about a shock collar when you get 50ft from you shop you get the sh#t shocked out of you, then think did I turn everything off.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »
How about a shock collar when you get 50ft from you shop you get the sh#t shocked out of you, then think did I turn everything off.

Heck, how about a rope from the flash to our neck?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »
In all seriousness a foot pedal does not necessarily solve the problem. You have to remember to hit it. Proxies think on their own. Set the timer and the panel automatically swivels out of harms way.
Still you have to remember to turn it off at the end of day but if you forget at least it is not in danger of catching anything on fire. Which reminds me about 8 years ago almost to this day the print crew at Alternative Apparel left a IR flash (on an auto) on for FOUR DAYS during Thanksgiving Holiday.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 12:58:54 PM »
was the flash over a platen?  I would imagine is wasn't.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »
No it was the M&R IR flash which retracts

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 02:23:36 PM »
An auto swivel jobby would not help in my situation, I keep the flash over the pallet when printing as I roll each shirt under so I can PFP on the fly so to speak.
It is not uncommon for the flash to be set in place over the pallet for two full revs of the platens, we have a 6/6. It is swinging the flash away at the end of the cycle of 6 to 12 flashes that gets me in trouble.

I am going to have a smoke alarm mounted down from the ceiling stopping about 3 feet above the flash as it sits over the pallet.
this will be just above the screens as they swing by yet close enough to read smoke at the earliest possible interval.
naturally this will not help if I pull another Elvis and leave the building with the flash over a shirt like my dumb ass did last Friday.

mooseman

DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 03:01:47 PM »
Perhaps I'm not understanding but we do this on all our hopkins manuals. As soon as the next shirt is indexed under the flash it immmediately swivels back. Also eliminates scorching if your'e printing a lot of top colors. If you get pulled away for a phone call just walk away.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »
See, we need a like button. ;)