Author Topic: Time to get ink.....  (Read 12978 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Time to get ink.....
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »
I have heard wilflex is dumping every line of ink and going to just the epic line. . .I hope not because it is stupid expensive.

Not dumping, rather they just aren't going to make certain lines anymore. This applies to every ink manufacturer that makes 'classic' plastisol. It's not entirely up to them, the raw material that is used to make conventional inks, is no longer made by 2 major petroleum distillers and being removed from production by another 2 in the coming yrs. The cost for that raw product has increased 300-500% in the last 5 yrs as the demand for phalate compliant/free inks has finally reached a demand that outweighs conventional inks. As this shift of cost moves towards compliant inks and more demand arises for the product, the cost will come down.

In the end, you don't have a choice to switch inks so start doing it now. The new Epic line mixes right into your existing MX line so there is nothing to do but just buy ink like you already do.
Correct John. They are doing what they have to do. Not only for the above reasons but it doesn't make sense any more to carry and manufacture that many different products. Cash flow and production efficiencies suffer greatly. Looks like a few of the Epic products are a couple of dollars cheaper than Classic while others are the same are a few bucks more. My concern is performance. Time will tell. I did get through to Polyone Tech Services and talked to an actual person. They are not finished rolling over several products such as some of the bases, reducers, metallics, process colors, HD inks, and the less popular colors.
Brannon I would suggest Rutland or QCM since the QCM will soon be produced out of Pineville. Of course American Niagra carries both so.........BTW I talked to Scott I have some frames ready for pickup.
tp

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 08:54:31 PM »
So how bout Excalibur Ink..? Anyone have any experience with it? We talked to a rep today, and the prices/options sound pretty good, but I have not seen much in my area (I actually like that). They even claim to be larger than wilflex outside of the US...  :o
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 09:57:25 PM »
Excalibur is pretty big in Europe and I heard good things. Where are you located, I will be willing to consider it if you are close to me.
Shipping knows to kill any good deals :)

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 10:14:40 PM »
We are in Georgia... I have talked to a few printers about it so far, and haven’t heard much, but the few that have used it had good things to say!! Thanks for the info.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 01:14:41 AM »
The white and black Excalibur that I got as a bonus with some frames and other equipment from now defunct Arron some years back was good stuff. I still have a little black, and wish that I had gotten more of their Arctic White. To me, it was very similar to Wilflex Artist.
I believe that Jeff Proctor, formerly of Union may be with them. He was pretty knowledgeable.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline cattees

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »
So how bout Excalibur Ink..? Anyone have any experience with it? We talked to a rep today, and the prices/options sound pretty good, but I have not seen much in my area (I actually like that). They even claim to be larger than wilflex outside of the US...  :o
We used Excalibur several years back when we were real newbies and the distributor was in Phily, however, several times they didn't have the color we needed or were out of stock, & they would order it directly from Canada.  Unfortunately, what we found out later, the shipping killed us because we were also paying import charges into the U.S.  So we ended that & found a distributor in our state that sold Union and have been very happy with them.   However, I don't see a problem using more than 1 distributor - maybe you would like the white ink from one company and a certain type of ink from another, but it does come down to practicality too.  It wouldn't be worth it for me to use a distributor in California (we'd have to wait a week before we received it) and the shipping would be higher.  Just my 2 cents......
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:01:54 AM by cattees »

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 10:30:17 AM »
if it were MY company, I would buy a few samples of every ink on the market and perform tests and see what I found to be the best. Then I could stand behind what I sell and say it is THE best. . . not based on what other people say. . .but that's me, I know you have to sell what sells. Maybe there is a brand new to the US you can snag. . .I just can't stand it when I ask a rep -hey how does this ink work on a _____ and they just read off the pdf sheet. . .I want a salesman that has field experience with what they are selling.. . but we all know I am clearly nuts so I may be expecting too much. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »
especially with all of the new inks rolling out.  with the new requirements formulas are changing.

or just go hang with tony for a day and learn everything there is to know.

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 01:19:16 PM »
if it were MY company, I would buy a few samples of every ink on the market and perform tests and see what I found to be the best. Then I could stand behind what I sell and say it is THE best. . . not based on what other people say. . .but that's me, I know you have to sell what sells. Maybe there is a brand new to the US you can snag. . .I just can't stand it when I ask a rep -hey how does this ink work on a _____ and they just read off the pdf sheet. . .I want a salesman that has field experience with what they are selling.. . but we all know I am clearly nuts so I may be expecting too much. . .

Man I wish it were that easy....

First off ink manufacturers don’t just hand out distributorships. Wilflex seems to already be off the table, and Rutland is on the fence at best.

Besides that printers are some of the most opinionated people I’ve ever dealt with (I say that with love  ;) ).

For example... I can walk in to one shop that loves XYZ White..... Go right down the street to another shop who will quickly tell me that that guy doesn’t know what he is talking about, XYZ White is garbage we only use ABC White...... Go to the next shop and they will tell me they are both idiots and they use 123 White....  :o

I agree that we have to stand behind our products, but repping any ink/product as the best in this industry can actually get you in trouble. I know of an equipment salesman who has repped for almost every manufacturer at one time or another.... Everyone was the best!!! People don’t forget that and you end up losing credibility. 

I also agree that good salesman can’t just read off of the tech sheets, but since I’m not a printer, I take the collective opinion from my customers and base my response upon that. I find that allows me to give the most "Real World" information, often based on the experiences of many printers....

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »
especially with all of the new inks rolling out.  with the new requirements formulas are changing.

or just go hang with tony for a day and learn everything there is to know.

I have been picking Toney’s brain for years... Whatever direction we end up going I do hope to get his opinion... ;)

One thing I do like about the Excalibur line is they are already non-phthalate....

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »
Toney........was that a Freudian Slip? Ha ha JK. I have frames ready for you and we can talk ink any time.
tp

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »
Toney........was that a Freudian Slip? Ha ha JK. I have frames ready for you and we can talk ink any time.
tp

Woops... lol

We are coming out there tomorrow to pick them up...

Offline garagewear

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 02:25:13 PM »
QCM!

Check with Colin and get setup as a QCM dealer. Our dealer here in North Alabama is going out of business and I want someone who stocks things. Infact they have a slew of stuff they are wanting to liquidate. I just couldn't justify buying all that ink right now. If you get setup with QCM I will be your first customer!

Bill

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »
...second vote on the QCM, especailly if you guys are still plannin to visit us in town periodically!
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 02:36:40 PM »
I see.. . that's why you are the supplier and I am the printer haha. . .I often wonder, with all these whites available-  if the chemists at the manufacturers ever walk over to the window and yell " WHAT THE FK DO YOU PRINTERS WANT?". . .i mean, there are SOOO many whites on the market. . .and they are all some what comparable, but everyone has their likes and dislikes. I have found from my own experiences, that it's not so much the ink itself, but the company I buy it from that has a lot to do with my opinion of it. but again, that's just me.

And I thought Colin was done working at QCM?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...