Author Topic: Is there a affordable RIP out there?  (Read 9633 times)

Offline Appstro

Is there a affordable RIP out there?
« on: January 13, 2014, 09:55:06 PM »
I downloaded the Accurip Trial and it seems like great software, but $500!!!???
Is there something cheaper perhaps for people starting out that wanna do half tones?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Is there a affordable RIP out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:55:42 PM »
Ghostrip is a free one if it is still out there. I used it years ago, but it is probably still around. I imagine someone that knows more than me week chime in with the details.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 11:07:36 PM »
Can't get any more affordable than free.

You'll need two separate downloaded components.
Ghostscript just runs in the back ground while Ghostview is the interface in which you actually do things.

Somewhere we have some good fairly simple instructions from a member, screenxpress.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Appstro

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 11:48:09 PM »
I downloaded them, hopefully I will be able to work through getting them installed. I hope they work with the epson 1430 i just bought.  Thanks for your help. If you guys have linkage to a tutorial here on installing the software and working with it that would be SWEET!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 12:40:07 AM »
Okay, here goes - I did install this one but have not printed yet and it seemed to work as well, or better than my older version.  Much easier to install.  No guarantees, but it's real close.  A lot closer than trying to dig it out from the university sites, etc.

===================================================================
GHOSTVIEW / GHOSTGUM INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS -

- Ghost can be downloaded from several sites. 

There are two parts to install - Ghostscript and Ghostview (also referred to as Ghostgum)

Ghostscript - http://www.ghostscript.com/download/

-Click Ghostscript 9.10
-select the platform - and click that General Public License Link
- At the Download File Info popup, point the "SAVE AS" to where you can find the download and click Start Download
- Find the GPL Ghostscript and double click
- Next
- I agree
- Install
- Finish
- That's Ghostscript

=================================

But you still need the viewer

GhostView - http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

GSview 5.0 is on that link

Select the right one for your operating system

Find where you saved it and double click - It's a self extracting zip file
- Setup
- Next
- Next
- Next
- Next
- Next - to create Ghostgum folder
- Finish

=================================

You now have Ghost Installed on your PC

You will never directly use GHOSTSCRIPT again.

You will use GSVIEW (called GHOSTGUM) to view and print which needs GHOSTSCRIPT to run so it is necessary to
install both parts.

=============================================================

You now have everything in place now to create and print Postscript (.ps) files from your Graphic Software. 

CREATE POSTSCRIPT FILES - Skip this if you're only printing from .ps files and not creating a .ps file

- You will create a .PS file from your graphic software such as Illy, Corel or Photoshop. 
The most critical part is that when you do the print step, you must direct it to a POSTSCRIPT DRIVER,
NOT a physical printer.  This write-up uses the HP DesignJet 5500 Postscript driver.  When using Ghost
software, you do not reference a physical Printer when outputting from the Graphic Software.  Instead
you reference a Postscript Driver to write to a file.  That output file is what goes to GhostView (Ghostgum)
to print. 

PHOTOSHOP
- Photoshop - finish any separations for halftones to where you have the channels ready to go 
   Click File - Print Options - SCREEN and set the lpi, angle, and shape for each color channel
      Note for CS2 this is found in Print with Preview - If you don't see these setting, be
      sure your setting is for "Output", NOT "Color Management" 
   Select PAGE SETUP to point to HP DesignJet 5500 and click OK
   Select one channel to print and click PRINT.  If a message pops   up that clipping might occur, just                      

Click PROCEED.  If a message pops up for resolution higher than 2.5 times the frequency, just click PROCEED. 
   Click the box for PRINT TO FILE and click OK.  The PRINT TO FILE box should open wanting an Output                      

File Name.  I have a folder on my C drive named "GHOST", so what I put in the box is -
      C:\GHOST\xxxxxxx_yyyy.ps where xxxxxxx is my file or customer namd and yyyy is the color plate.  Name
      it something like C:\GHOST\Cust_Image_Color.ps and click OK.  Note those are "back slashes" (above the
      Enter Key), not "forward slashes".  The channel will output to where you referenced.  It may take 20 - 45
      seconds to output and Postscript files can be quite large. 
   - Repeat the steps above for each channel

---------------------------
PS-CS4 and CS5 - Download the Wilflex Free RIP for CS4 at
http://www.wilflexeasyart.com/downloads.htm. 
Once you have the .atn file, open the "Actions" window in PS and select Load Actions and find/load the downloaded Wilflex Rip.
Now select the channel desired to print and Click on the desired LPI from the Wilflex Action list.  Wilflex will actually RIP
the image in a new copy in Photoshop.  You then just print it directly to the printer and it will be halftones.  If you don't
want to print from Photoshop, just do a 'save as' using the copy image Wilflex created as a .eps file.  Then open that in
Ghost and print directly from Ghost or send the .eps file to someone, as needed. 

CORELDRAW
- Coreldraw - Click on Print -
   General Tab - Select Device Independent Postscrip File (this allows changes to LPI and Angle)
   Separations Tab - Click on Print Separations box - Click on Color to be printed
   Advanced Button - then click on Color in the new window and change Frequency (lpi) and Angle -
      Set Halftone Type to DEFAULT - Click OK
   Check only the ONE color to be printed (print films one color at a time) and click Print
   Print to File - Create a Folder (if you don't already have one) and Name your file (type=Postscript)
      This setting will save as a .ps file type
   Click Save to output the file

ILLUSTRATOR
- Illustrator - Click on Print
   General -
      Printer - Adobe Postscript File
      PPD - Design Jet 5500PS (my HP5500PS Postscript Driver)
   Output -
      Mode - Separations (Host Based) - Turn on printer for one Pantone Color
             Set Freq/Angle/Dot

Save (button near bottom) - will open window to direct output to a Postscript file
      Set location and name as xxxxxxxx.ps where xxxxxxxx is the name of your file

LPI
==========
"Rule of Thumb". 
Always set your LPI dependent on your screen mesh.  Use 4.5 (although 5 is ever better to reduce the chance of
Moire pattern) time the LPI.  Example.  Setting LPI of 45 requires a mesh of 203 (45 * 4.5 = 202.5), but 230
is even better (45 * 5 = 225) 

Dot Shape
==========
Elipse is a best choice for color gradient transitions, BUT for COREL, you have to use the DEFAULT.

Angle
==========
22.5 is the most recommended angle that most use, even for CMYK 

PRINT STEPS USING GHOSTGUM -

Click Start/Programs - Find GHOSTGUM and click on to open it up.  Or you can just find your .ps file and
"Open With" gsview

Click OK - It's just a notice for registration and is ignored

Note that Ghost will open many other file type extensions if needed).  It's a very useful utility to have and
can print spot colors just as nicely as halftones.

The image should appear on the canvas

If image does not fit properly, you may have the wrong canvas selected.  Click "MEDIA" and change the canvas setting. 
Try 11x17.  When correct, the image will appear in the center of the canvas for printing.  (Note:  I have had some
issues in Corel output getting it to center and have had to adjust the location in Corel when outputting).

Click PRINT and change printer settings for your printer

If the print comes out as code text lines and not an image, when the Print Box appears, check PRINT METHOD settings
and select "Windows GDI printer", not PostScript Printer.

NOTE: - the ORIENTATION selection in Ghost refers to HOW THE PAPER IS IN THE PRINTER, NOT the way you're seeing the
image on the screen.

Click OK to print

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:45:57 AM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Appstro

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 10:47:43 AM »
WOW!! You are the man!! THANK YOU!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »
Accurip or FilmMaker are the most affordable RIPS that you can buy I believe. 

If the ghostrip doesn't do it for you, you can always bitmap to your preferred halftones and place back in Illustrator for output.  I did this for years and it's laborious but gets it done.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »
FilmMaker +1.

Before we got it we setup RedMon (redirection monitor) to redirect a dummy printer to Ghostscript, removing the need
for using Ghostview and setting page sizes in it.

But FilmMaker is like $300 and so much more tuned to what screen printers need.

Offline jimdtg

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 02:52:29 AM »
T-RIP, FilmMaker, SimpleSeps, PR ScreenPrint are best RIP for S.P

Offline prozyan

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 09:37:41 AM »
T-RIP, FilmMaker, SimpleSeps, PR ScreenPrint are best RIP for S.P

Just for the sake of accuracy, SimpleSeps isn't a true RIP.  More of a workaround.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 05:29:39 PM »
$500 really isn't much for RIP, and we've been using AccuRIP for a few years with no problems, especially since we printed out the test, had the films read and input the numbers... Ghostscript is good if you can get it running, plenty of folks here have used it; I found myself spending hours with no luck and finally just bought a product that worked. Don't go cheap on your tools...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 09:10:52 PM »
If I had Photoshop on windows I get Filmmaker V4 for sure because of all the functions they provide.
But I am leaning towards Accurip due to easy installation and I can't get "hot folder" to work with my mac.

Give Mraph(Alan@techsupportsps.com) a buzz, because filmmaker on his site is going for $395 while I have seen it for $495.

store.techsupportsps.com/collections/software

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 02:06:36 AM »
Ghostscript works great for free software, but...

The workflow of it will make you want to stab someone to death with an ink knife.

Get a real RIP. You will forget about the $500 on down the line when Accurip just keeps working and working and working.

The real expensive pain in the ass is all of the Epson printer equipment and supply you will go through...the RIP will only be a one time purchase.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 02:18:11 AM »
Oh and by the way, Accurip is ACCURATE.

Ghostscript is a Postcript interpreter. It will take the ps files and flips them into a printable bitmap for the inkjet. Simple.

Accurip is much more. It's an interpreter AND a revised printer driver that operates on top of (and controls) the existing stock Epson driver. It provides better media handling and more accurate separations. Something the Ghostscript/Epson driver combo can't do.

When I ran comparisons Accurip printed films with much, MUCH better registration than the stock Epson driver. I even printed a large template grid for my light table and Accurip nailed it. Every line was exact from top to bottom. In comparison, the Epson driver was out by almost 1/4" over a 20" print! And this is a random issue - the stock driver was never intended to print films that register to each other, so it does not drive the media handling as accurately. Accurip deals with this.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 07:14:46 PM »
Since not all of us are on Epson, what can you share for HP?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers