Author Topic: A new SPAM on SPAM email.  (Read 2800 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: A new SPAM on SPAM email.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 05:25:10 PM »
Actually the concept of the original email isn't that far off. Senior Sentinel, an FBI operation aimed at targeting phone
scammers of the 90's, found that many of the old timers that had been bilked of their life savings were then offered
the wonderful opportunity to have it all given back for the low low price of $10K or whatever they had left or could borrow.

FWIW taking advantage of the elderly like that is right up there with animal abuse in my opinion.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 06:13:15 PM »
Actually the concept of the original email isn't that far off. Senior Sentinel, an FBI operation aimed at targeting phone
scammers of the 90's, found that many of the old timers that had been bilked of their life savings were then offered
the wonderful opportunity to have it all given back for the low low price of $10K or whatever they had left or could borrow.

FWIW taking advantage of the elderly like that is right up there with animal abuse in my opinion.

One of our employees had his mother put into one of the early Alzhiemers homes but not the full on nursing home and he said there would be sales calls to her room on numerous occasions and he'd grab the phone and try to see what they were selling and they'd immediately hang up on him.  That tells me it wasn't just some telemarketer hitting auto dial on their call system.  I think I could muster up the guts to choke one of those people to death and not feel that bad about it.  It's no different than harming a baby or a.   
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »
For awhile someone (a woman) was calling my grandmother and saying "hey grandma it's me, my car broke
down and I don't have any money...."

It takes a certain kind of evil to pull chit like that.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 07:32:02 PM »
For awhile someone (a woman) was calling my grandmother and saying "hey grandma it's me, my car broke
down and I don't have any money...."

It takes a certain kind of evil to pull chit like that.

A quite common scheme to rip off grandparents of young people is "you" emailing asking grandma for help because you got in trouble in Mexico and you don't want your folks to know.
Please send money to*** who will help get you out of jail.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 09:25:04 AM »
Warning: Green Clean Chemicals. Or something like that. Via phone. Mr Chatty going on and on  about sending me Sony earbuds in celebration of their anniversary. Starts chatting about golf and everything under the sun. This guys good. Next you know: "Okay the we'll get a drum of hand cleaner out your way. You don't have to pay right away" I tell him hold up (name is Alex) no way we don't work that way. Then this: "Okay then I understand we'll send you a trade show sample bucket. It's only five gallons." Told him no we don't do anyrthing without a purchase order and hung up.
Waiting for that fiver to show up on the dock. I can almost guarantee this will happen.