Author Topic: Dehazer/Degreaser...what do you like?  (Read 11074 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Dehazer/Degreaser...what do you like?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 01:59:20 PM »
i am currently carding off ink (or rinsing if discharge/waterbased), putting in the diptank (easiway supra), pressure wash off, scrub on 701, soft rinse, dry.  2 steps, only one scrub.  I have yet to have a problem with stencil breakdown or exposure issues.  That said, I still see ghosts and some stains make it through the process (usually blues or some discharge screens used on long runs).  I have been using the murakami 700 haze remover when needed, but that is a long and nasty process.  I was thinking of trying out d-haze and envirohaze soon to see if they work better than the 701.  Has anyone used these and the 701 in a similar process and seen markedly better results?

I stopped degreasing when I started using the dip tank.  Been awesome!

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 04:37:53 PM »
701 only for dehaze and then a thorough rinse. Easiway Screen Perfect on 230 mesh and higher, otherwise no degreaser.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 05:24:59 PM »
we had a rep from ICC come in a couple weeks ago, left me with a bottle of a paste like product. Citrus base, smells like cherries. You put a small blob on your scrubby pad, "just one dab", do the whole screen front back, sides of the frame, go to a second frame, hit it with the sprayer, I haven't seen anything work this good after using all of the sprays from 701, to Ikistickunstuck, korchem, and the list goes on. It's like $30 bucks a gallon. I think it was a pint sample he left us, we dehazed/degreased about 150 or so screens with the stuff. ZERO fisheye in any of the frames. I'm switching us over to it vs all the spray stuff, the cost is way lower. Nothing atomized from a spray bottle or sprayer to breathe in, or get on your skin. I did about 60 of those screens myself to see how it went, you actually move through the process faster. I'm really impressed with it. It's called 858 degreaser and dehazer. See if you can get a sample and give it a try.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline shellyky

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
I ran out of my usual stuff (imagemate 660 and 260--apparently no one uses this) and 2 weeks ago i had to use this 701 i had here...wow.  Never seen such a horrible chemical.  It  left all of our screens looking like they'd been shot with a shotgun of emulsion remover as the emulsion was drying lol....i poured out the bottle in the sink and it literally floated up on the surface of the water like oil.  i thought this was a horrible chemical personally...

AND that ICC man came in and give me the whole demo on everything as well...I do love that 626 (i think it is, on-press screenwash) and the cherry stuff 858.  I ended up going thru the quart of that he left.  Bought a gallon since it was so amazing!  Then my screens started popping and letting go...turns out if you get this stuff on the actual 'glued' part of the screen on the back, it just sits there and seperates the glue from what i was told.  I immediately stopped using it after 15 screens or so died.  Contacted the company and no one would return my emails, nor would that rep that came in... so ive still got half a gallon of the sweetest smelling chemical known to man that i cant use...its too bad, i loved that stuff...it cleaned anything from anything!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »
we had a rep from ICC come in a couple weeks ago, left me with a bottle of a paste like product. Citrus base, smells like cherries. You put a small blob on your scrubby pad, "just one dab", do the whole screen front back, sides of the frame, go to a second frame, hit it with the sprayer, I haven't seen anything work this good after using all of the sprays from 701, to Ikistickunstuck, korchem, and the list goes on. It's like $30 bucks a gallon. I think it was a pint sample he left us, we dehazed/degreased about 150 or so screens with the stuff. ZERO fisheye in any of the frames. I'm switching us over to it vs all the spray stuff, the cost is way lower. Nothing atomized from a spray bottle or sprayer to breathe in, or get on your skin. I did about 60 of those screens myself to see how it went, you actually move through the process faster. I'm really impressed with it. It's called 858 degreaser and dehazer. See if you can get a sample and give it a try.
This is the pink stuff. I used it for a while and its garbage at dehazing. Great degreaser but it cant even clear basic ink stains off the mesh...

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »
This is the pink stuff. I used it for a while and its garbage at dehazing. Great degreaser but it cant even clear basic ink stains off the mesh...

"The Pink Stuff" may be different than what they are talking about. Who knows? If we are talking about CCI (not ICC) there are at least 20 different stain/haze removers from them. All of which have the same description on their website.

Which is the same with all of their products. It's impossible to tell which one would be best for a given application.

For those using 701: it has to be used correctly. I use it all day, every day and my screens are clean, clear and trouble free.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 09:09:02 PM »
It is pink. But not cci's "pink stuff", that's different.  This stuff is what shelly mentioned. It took off stains from past reclaims. I haven't seen any issues with frames hlur letting loose. But then again any static frames we have are melray stretches. They have an amazing stretch glueing secret that protects the adheadion. Their restretches have outlasted any we've had in the past. I have had screens from others thst the glue would let go if we used a harsh dehazer.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 09:18:27 PM »
It is pink. But not cci's "pink stuff", that's different.  This stuff is what shelly mentioned. It took off stains from past reclaims. I haven't seen any issues with frames hlur letting loose. But then again any static frames we have are melray stretches. They have an amazing stretch glueing secret that protects the adheadion. Their restretches have outlasted any we've had in the past. I have had screens from others thst the glue would let go if we used a harsh dehazer.

So we are all on the same page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmv7Twj0Z3g

(edit: LOL... he calls it "The Pink Stuff" in the vid, just to make it more confusing...)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:21:10 PM by Evo »

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 09:24:05 PM »
BTW when I tried CCI's "The Pink Stuff" I determined that it ruined a 230 mesh screen in just one application. Useless as a dehazer, terrible as a degreaser, and it has abrasives in it that weakened the mesh, shortening the screen's lifespan considerably.

So, if the ICC stuff is different, I might try a sample.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 10:57:14 PM »
Im talking about the ICC stuff, not CCI. I used it for about 2 years as a degrease, but it doesnt remove anything beyond the lightest stains. It does not work as a dehaze. 701 does a much better job.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 11:11:20 PM »
701 does a much better job.

Noted.

Yeah I'm kinda set in my ways with it now. Pull from the tank, blast it out, apply 701, blast it out, flood rinse, done.

If I have earbuds in under the hearing protectors, and a good playlist on Spotify, 15-20 screens will fly by per hour. Bonus: I get to pretty much ignore everyone in the shop.

;D

My secret weapon: we have a multiple compartment sink. It has a deep area for reclaim/ink/smutz/dirt, and a shallow area with back lighting I use only for developing and flood rinsing. Using the two separately means the final rinse gets zero splash back.

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 12:13:58 AM »
I have used the ICC 858 for as long as I can remember, & always seem to be safe & gentle, we love this stuff & the smell is nice as well. I have not had the problems with glue do to this stuff & we let it sit for a few minutes. However I think any dehazer can eat at the glue & depending on the glue I can see this being a problem.

Murphy37

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 08:16:51 AM »
CCI iw-6 is pretty darn good as well.

I was using imagemate 260, but I found it wasn't the best, it does work very well as a degradant in the washout booth though.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 11:05:03 AM »
I have used the ICC 858 for as long as I can remember, & always seem to be safe & gentle, we love this stuff & the smell is nice as well. I have not had the problems with glue do to this stuff & we let it sit for a few minutes. However I think any dehazer can eat at the glue & depending on the glue I can see this being a problem.

Murphy37

I agree, we used to use 701 for a long time, then switched to KorChem Pro clean, relabeled by SPA as stain remover/degreaser, it was about 80 bucks per 5er less and a lot stronger than 701. But now trying this cherry smelling 858, using it the way it was demo'd it's even better at removing stains, not to mention it's degreasing ability is awesome. I added a little bit of water to it to loosen it up as the rep said that water is it's friend, actually makes it work better, he was correct. We use Beenie Doo as our de-inker which leaves lots of oily residue, this 858 then took care of all that greasy residue, it's defiantly going to be our new go to. I would suggest getting a sample, and making sure to use it the way they tell you too. I had some screens that had stains from a few jobs back still in the mesh under a new stain, the 858 took those out too, so I'm not sure how anyone trying it says that it's not good at removing stains, because the sample we go was super awesome.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 02:49:35 PM »
We use Kiwo Dual Strip and KiwoClean concentrated ink wash for degreasing and haze.
Important- get yourself a high power pressure washer like Evo's video.
Cheap will work, but go electric if possible.