Author Topic: Who reclaims your screens???  (Read 9427 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Who reclaims your screens???
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 09:06:18 AM »
Full time human, 40 hours. I was a screen guy for 18 years (and the only one who kept up on everything else, including going digital and training the art dept. in it) and we've had full time screen makers for most of 20 years here. There are 4 of us who can do it from beginning to end.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 09:31:33 AM »
I've had from two to eight full time Screen Techs. Cross trained and rotate duties.

Offline Clark

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 10:21:49 AM »
Either Moises, Paco, or Gordo wash my screens.  I despise washing screens.

Offline squeegee

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 12:19:56 PM »
You have a guy working for you named Gordo?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 12:39:48 PM »
I had a Reeto and a Swa and then there was Goose.........don't get me going on him.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »

That's awesome Chris, you have Gordon Keith cleaning screens for you.  I bet he's fun to work with.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Clark

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 01:49:44 PM »

Gordo is "Texican" for fatboy. 

If Gordon Keith was working here, I doubt much work would be getting done.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »

Gordo is "Texican" for fatboy. 

If Gordon Keith was working here, I doubt much work would be getting done.

When I first started listening to the ticket, he was my least favorite, now it's the opposite.  Do you know who is printing their "drop gear"?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Clark

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 03:20:32 PM »
Gordon's my favorite too.

An ad agency has their stuff printed.  Probably at silver wing or impress designs.  I had a beer or two with the lady that handles their account and tried to work my way into that gig, but didn't happen.  Suprisingly the design work on their event shirts is pretty bad.  Printing is good, but the art sucks.  The last two events I have been to they only had one or two cases of shirts.  I never see the standard ticket logo shirts anymore..I think money is a little tight at cumulus.

Offline DanK

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 06:34:01 PM »
We have one screen person 40 hours a week.  That person is responsible for everything from coating to reclaiming and also during certain production runs, they are the ink watchers (keep the dirty hands on the dirty jobs) - making sure each print head has what it needs on longer runs.  In the screen room they stretch, coat, burn, washout, dip, reclaim, degrease, and retension every screen.  The press operator also QC's the exposed screens against the art to make sure the screen person has it down.  We keep on top of the screens all day long, reclaim them immediately so they're free and dry to coat for the next design and we never have a build up of dirty stuff or screens that can't be used.
Dan Holzer

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »
We usually have someone come in twice a week. We pay by the hour but have an expectation of how many screens per hour need to be cleaned. Also since i coat i can tell if they did a shitty job or not.

How many screens an hour is acceptable?  Do you have them just reclaim them then you degreese them and coat them?

The reclaim person does the degrease as well. Then they get put in the screen room to dry and then i coat them. If a screen isn't washed out or has chemical on it, it get's kicked back to the reclaim dept.

That usually only has to happen a few times and then they stop freaking it up ;)

I don't have a screens per hour goal. Clean screens are really important. So i don't mind if someone new is slow and through. They will speed up over time. The most important part is the screens look good and don't have to get kicked back to them.

If the person takes a bit longer than they are suppose to.. it's only a few extra bucks in pay.. like i said clean screens are worth it to me.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 09:21:15 PM »
We have one screen person 40 hours a week.  That person is responsible for everything from coating to reclaiming and also during certain production runs, they are the ink watchers (keep the dirty hands on the dirty jobs) - making sure each print head has what it needs on longer runs.  In the screen room they stretch, coat, burn, washout, dip, reclaim, degrease, and retension every screen.  The press operator also QC's the exposed screens against the art to make sure the screen person has it down.  We keep on top of the screens all day long, reclaim them immediately so they're free and dry to coat for the next design and we never have a build up of dirty stuff or screens that can't be used.
I love the dirty hands on dirty jobs idea! We usually keep screens until a day after a job is delivered. The reason is it seems like whenever we drop stuff in the dip tank we get a call with a sob story how they forgot 1 kid on the team or something. We're suckers for kids so we end up doing it. This way if they call with in 24-48 hours of getting their order we at least we still have the screen. Kinda eats up your screen inventory but meh.. whatcha gonna do?

-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 08:27:23 AM »
ink, I know how you feel.  We try and work with our customers as best as possible.

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »
I the man....

Offline Im-Magic

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 11:16:27 PM »
I have a High School kid comes in 3 days a week after school. If they are trained properly about 12 -14 an hour no prob. We do 6 at a time stack back to back so they do not dry, blast off then we use orange oil the make sure all ink is out blast again and then degrease and hose off.
Stuart