Author Topic: heat discolored "safety yellow" shirts  (Read 2856 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: heat discolored "safety yellow" shirts
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 12:19:56 PM »
The safety colored garments will discolor even if you don't do anything "wrong".  We had a batch turn brownish yellow even after taking precautions with the dryer.  250 shirts a few months ago did this and our supplier made it right after I discussed everything we did to keep it from happening.  We tested a shirt and it was perfectly fine and started the run then all of a sudden about halfway through a 500 piece run they turned on us. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Appstro

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
I learned alot from this job. I have only done 3 REAL jobs so I have alot to learn :) I learned to charge extra for poly blends, especially safety colors. I learned that if the ink isnt thick on poly blends it cracks easily even if the shirt is heat pressed or scorched. I learned that I need to figure out a way to dial in the little buddy conveyor that I have. Strips are all over the place as is the heat temp gun..so.? I learned that XXL shirts are prone to misalignment if your not careful ;). I learned that I can save a shirt if the color is right and the scorching is light. I learned that acetone will remove ink stains from shirts ;). I learned that it will take me at least 4 days to do 250 shirts while the rest of my business will be on hold and customers may not like that... I learned that water based adhesive from Mclogans is only good for about 50 shirts before you need to reapply. getting it wet just made the surface of the platen ....wet... I learned that I can register colors by hand with a little nudge from a rubber mallet and also that I don't want my first color to be right up against the clamp. If it is and the 2nd color needs to go higher then I have to go back and lower the first color to get it to register.... I also learned that the $215.00 for micro registration upgrade on my press is nothing compared to the hour I had to mess with the 2 colors on press. I learned that trapping has to be more than 1 point or even 2 points. More like 3-4 points if I can get away with it. I learned to check my hands after ever other shirt and keep and eye on that pesky ink that seems to find its way all over the f-ing place  :o I learned that my back is out of shape and that this screen printing business will get it back in shape. I also learned that on some big runs I need to have a local moonlighter that knows his or her stuff come to the shop and do the run while I take care of my other customers. I learned that screen printing has a really nice learning curve and that I do love it and that it can make me more money, which is freakin' awesome.

Oh and I also acknowledge all of you people that give great advice and truly are not trolls. This forum has been the most positive I have EVER been to and I wanna thank you all for being there for me for every dumb question I have even though you probably have answered it a thousand times before!!  8)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »

I learned that water based adhesive from Mclogans is only good for about 50 shirts before you need to reapply. getting it wet just made the surface of the platen ....wet...

I assume that you got Tek Bond, but they are all pretty similar and no, just wetting the board won't work. The water is only meant to make the accumulated lint easy to remove. It's that lint that really reduces the stickiness.

So, some use a damp rag and rub, (the lint is usually visible, so you can see it work), some spray and then rub, some use a scrubbie or green or blue side of those double sponges.
If you have your flash going, a quick stopover will help dry the board and make it sticky again a little sooner. One great thing about the water based stickum is that it likes heat, while the sprays seem to break down from it.

btw, sometimes I use a 50/50 dilution of Windex as my cleaner and rejuvenater. I do feel it both cuts the crap and drys a little faster
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »
Well if the OP is going to clearly communicate with his client what the problem was and what he did to solve it and the client has no problems with it, then he is good to go and I am ok with that.....But I suspect what happens most of the time is the "fix" is unknown to the client.....That IMO is "shoddy".....

I am with you on that Royce--the people like you are easy to deal with in this respect, since you are the one ordering and responsible for the quality of the goods you are printing.  Probably a PITA when you find out it's the goods and not a printer doing something stupid though.

My thought was that it's sad when product that can't be imprinted properly without issues like that goes out, and CONTINUES to go out from the mfr as such.  FWIW, I did a pretty big sim proc job we had to do one, take it home and make sure the 'scorchy' marks washed out, and then run--pretty fun problem to deal with when you're under the gun on 300 shirts with a silly fancy print, as well as other drops.   Just makes me wonder, a year later, is it the same situation making problems for other people?

And Appstro--do yourself a favor, and only SUSPECT you have learned things at first.  It will make it easier in the long run...