Author Topic: Why 23x31 screens are the standard?  (Read 2791 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Why 23x31 screens are the standard?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 05:57:05 PM »
I have always wondered about sizing, thanks Tony for the Precision insight.  Only press in the world where a hammer is your micro register tool!
Not so.  The only press in the world where the hammer is NOT your micro registration tool are the second generation and forward MHM's.

What's in that pot you're stirring Sonny?  Fine machines, those MHM's, but I'm sure you're being facetious. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »
Funny thing is, though I added Antec Micros to my old Hopkins, damned if I didn't have the tap tap action down pretty good! The straight vertical in-out adjustment on the heads helped a lot.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 06:22:29 PM »
Came from Precision Screen Machines and American M&M. The ovals and multi printers could only accept one size frame

Ditto, they just became the standard somehow. So everyone who made frames made them to fit the machines that were installed. All in all, still a good size.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »
It is also kind of interesting that in high quality graphics and electronics the frames are square.  Seems to help the mesh print more accurately.  I always felt that if someone could come up with a frame with a 45 degree 3-4 inch angled tube on the back corners of the screen frame we could print with a wider screens.  Some presses give very little room at the back corners on a carousel where screen corners clear by an inch, sometimes less if the screen room guy didn't pin register the art and didn't center it right.
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 06:57:11 PM »
I have always wondered about sizing, thanks Tony for the Precision insight.  Only press in the world where a hammer is your micro register tool!
Not so.  The only press in the world where the hammer is NOT your micro registration tool are the second generation and forward MHM's.
Care to elaborate on that statement Sonny?
No problem.  As anyone who has seen an E type or S type or a 4000 or 3000 or 2000 will attest to the method of holding the frame precludes moving it by hitting it with a hammer.  The frame is not held by a clamp pushing down on it from the top but it is held from the outside ends via bushings or pins and squeezed into place.  So hitting it with a hammer does nothing but make noise.  The MHM and to some extent the S Roque are the only presses to hold screens this way.  This feature started on the MHM S2000 circa 1992.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »
I had a few MHM's.  What I liked about this screen capture method was I could use it for 'on contact' water base printing.  The shirt has some capillary action to it
when a water base screen is able to make contact with the fabric,  the squeegee just finishes the print process.  Off contact requires more squeegee pressure which can wear holes in the stencil.  On contact printing avoids excessive pressure.  Also helps discharge get into the fabric and do it's job.

Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 06:41:58 AM »
No problem.  As anyone who has seen an E type or S type or a 4000 or 3000 or 2000 will attest to the method of holding the frame precludes moving it by hitting it with a hammer.  The frame is not held by a clamp pushing down on it from the top but it is held from the outside ends via bushings or pins and squeezed into place.  So hitting it with a hammer does nothing but make noise.  The MHM and to some extent the S Roque are the only presses to hold screens this way.  This feature started on the MHM S2000 circa 1992.
there are presses manufactured in Brazil as well as Turkey that hold the screen with attachments on the ends of the screens.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 07:06:16 AM »
there are presses manufactured in Brazil as well as Turkey that hold the screen with attachments on the ends of the screens.
Cool to know.  What manufacturers?
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 08:56:10 AM »
We have both an S-Type MHM and  '94 Gauntlet S; we don't tap either. But yes, the hammer, or Dynamic Excitement Tool as we called it, was invaluable on the Precision Starter Oval we had...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »
Cool to know.  What manufacturers?
There are three in Turkey. Sulfet ,levent baski, and Ozmakmakina. I don't remember the name of the one in Brazil.
Rich Hoffman