Author Topic: what do you think about this?  (Read 5004 times)

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: what do you think about this?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
So what about 'flash books'?  Can't have it in a mechanically reproduced book to pick out, but you can get it tattooed?  ;)

We used to print for a guy who got served several notices for putting the fact that he worked on HD stuff on his shirts--spelled out exactly as such
They huffed and puffed, he stood his ground and told them he'd see them in court.   Never heard from them again.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 02:37:40 PM »
Looks legit....

Online whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 12:48:14 PM »
Sorry just getting back to you guys on this..I was out of town on my golf vacation.

My new customer paid a graphic artist for this. The customer asked the artist to design something. The customer is not a motorcyclist in any way. Had no idea until he read these comments and immediately took it down and refunded the peoples money and apologized instantly.

He confronted the artist and the artist started being a wicked ass to him. Telling him he does not know how anything works and started giving him a hard time. Pretty sure it ruined their relationship.

If you have an artist design something how do you know if its ripped off? Like this customer is not a motorcyclist and had no idea.. You sort of have to trust that artist.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 01:03:41 PM »
I suppose that one could have a disclaimer signed by the artist, attesting to originality and/or no copyright rip-offs, but that wouldn't change the situation if a cease and desist order, or order to destroy merchandise was received.

From the artist's perspective, he may have well thought that not only was the logo changed "sufficiently" (never the case as there is no percentage rule like some think), but also was appealing to a like-minded crowd with the reference. Sorry it got nasty.
If nasty enough, a copy of the design along with the artist's contact info may be appreciated by Harley in case they ever need any design work.  ;)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 01:59:36 PM »
I think working with credible and reputable artist who actually cares and knows the law is your best bet. It is a reason why we have to pay more for some things, the guy that put in the time to learn the rules will cost more, but it also comes with a piece of mind (to some extent).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 05:26:38 PM »
I think working with credible and reputable artist who actually cares and knows the law is your best bet. It is a reason why we have to pay more for some things, the guy that put in the time to learn the rules will cost more, but it also comes with a piece of mind (to some extent).

pierre

Right. This obviously wasn't a credible or reputable artist. Inspiration is one thing, outright ripping is another. It's a swindle... it shouldn't be so hard to come up with your own eagle motif.

Now here's another thing that could have happened... both this artist and the artist under contract for HD used a piece of clip art. If that's the case, then there's no case, because clips usually have a limited usage agreement and HD would have no claim to it unless they bought out the rights to the clip art from the license holder.

Or, the same artist did both designs and retained the right to that image for re-use later. A common thing, but probably not an agreement HD would have signed on to. They typically buy out all rights to images they use. (And they don't always pay top dollar for them either, but I digress.)
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 05:33:42 PM »
So what about 'flash books'?  Can't have it in a mechanically reproduced book to pick out, but you can get it tattooed?  ;)

Flash books work like clip art. There are limited usage requirements... the image is ultimately owned by the book's publisher, your use of the image, after you pay for the license, is subject to the limitations listed in the license agreement.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 05:41:53 PM »

pierre

Right. This obviously wasn't a credible or reputable artist. Inspiration is one thing, outright ripping is another. It's a swindle... it shouldn't be so hard to come up with your own eagle motif.

Now here's another thing that could have happened... both this artist and the artist under contract for HD used a piece of clip art. If that's the case, then there's no case, because clips usually have a limited usage agreement and HD would have no claim to it unless they bought out the rights to the clip art from the license holder.

Or, the same artist did both designs and retained the right to that image for re-use later. A common thing, but probably not an agreement HD would have signed on to. They typically buy out all rights to images they use. (And they don't always pay top dollar for them either, but I digress.)

My money is still on lumping bikers and gun folks together, and assuming that they would dig the connection.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 05:50:42 PM »
I dunno Andy, that just looks like lazy to me.

Didn't even give 'em the gotdamnt common courtesy of a horizontal flip.