Author Topic: [WANTED] Used Auto - Bottom of the Barrel  (Read 48100 times)

Offline KevWilso

Re: [WANTED] Used Auto - Bottom of the Barrel
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 08:54:05 PM »
I know of. Multi printer in austin for sale.  I just shot the owner an email for price.  It has millions of impressions on it but still ran until they moved it out of the way for their new press.  Has 2 flashes, but one needs to be thrown in the trash, and replaced.  I believe it is a 7 or 8 color.

I will email you tomorrow when i get more info.
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 11:50:58 PM »
Thanks Kevin!  Let me know what you hear.  I need to stop in tomorrow or Monday anyway to restock on a few things.
In order of preference:

Gauntlet
Javelin
Auto-Rototex
Multiprinter
A Guantlet, even with millions of impressions, would be awesome in this price range, but I don't think I've ever seen one.

Honestly, thank y'all so much for the help and the info.  I love screen printing and I love this community, and this is a really important move for me.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 10:09:17 AM »
An old GT-8 would run about that in OK shape, if you can find one. Really depends on the local market, since hauling it a few hundred or thousands of miles adds a hassle many aren't willing to take on.

So... you have a nice set of tools, right?  ;)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »
I don't mind driving, and I would say I'm handier than the average guy :D

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 12:55:17 PM »

don't forget, you'll need a compressor with a chiller and that can set you back some serious coin. Also, the electrical and air lines would have to be installed and might even need a tech if there is something wrong with the press or it's seriously worn out. Just those things can add up to $5K.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 01:04:03 PM »
I sold our 6 color gaunlet with about 1.5 million impressions for about $8k.  It was in great shape.

I am not trying to sound like a jerk, but you are wasting your time printing manually.  An auto will pay for itself so fast you won't believe it.  Find a way to get one and do it.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 01:18:47 PM »

don't forget, you'll need a compressor with a chiller and that can set you back some serious coin. Also, the electrical and air lines would have to be installed and might even need a tech if there is something wrong with the press or it's seriously worn out. Just those things can add up to $5K.

pierre

I'm aware of all the peripherals, which is a big part of why I would like to pay as little as possible for the auto itself.  The peripherals and the infrastructure will work for future upgrades (assuming I purchase and plan with upgrading in mind), and I don't mind paying for that part now.  The main thing is I need to get something in my shop NOW that will make me money and save me time.  Honestly, if there is an oval in DC for a few hundred bucks and it is in working or fixable condition, I will start planning my trip today...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 01:21:42 PM »
I sold our 6 color gaunlet with about 1.5 million impressions for about $8k.  It was in great shape.

I am not trying to sound like a jerk, but you are wasting your time printing manually.  An auto will pay for itself so fast you won't believe it.  Find a way to get one and do it.

thats more in line with what I have seen them go for on the low end.

I agree wholly with your statement about manual vs auto.  Simple jobs that take me all day would take an auto shop an hour without sweating it...

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 01:25:07 PM »
For 1-2 color printing on lights, an oval can't be beat for simplicity of smashing ink into a shirt and moving on. It does lack in EVERY other area. IF it has tight registration, big if, they're worth a max of $1k in my opinion.

If you can double your budget you have exponentially more options.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
mimosa, why don't you start assembling what you need to run it.  Search CL for a compressor and chiller, and just get things ready for it...it will make life a ton simpler.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 01:43:10 PM »
I would be a bit concerned about the dodgyness of the micros on a precision... your setup times would be faster on a javelin and even faster on a gauntlett.

I got my javelin at scrap prices.. maybe check ebay. Cost me less than 4k all in, including all the parts to rebuild it. 

Paid for itself on the 2nd job we printed with it and it works day in day out for us now.

Only complaints: very basic operator interface. No job start/end functionality, no quick releases on the platens, and the v squeegees that take a bit of getting used to.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 01:45:43 PM »
Yeah Craigslist and Ebay could be your friend! I found my current compressor on Ebay. It is an IR 5 horse which is underpowered for what we have now but it gets us thru. The guy bought it so he could have his workers build the cabinets for his home and that was it, it was basically brand new and I got it for $400. I know an electrician that hooked me up for $200, the press was $4000 and the cost to get everything (trailer rental etc..) was around $400. That was our first auto experience.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »
Just be cautious what you get, you may end up with a 3000# one color press that in the time it takes to keep running you could have printed the job by hand.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 03:24:38 PM »
Yeah Craigslist and Ebay could be your friend! I found my current compressor on Ebay. It is an IR 5 horse which is underpowered for what we have now but it gets us thru. The guy bought it so he could have his workers build the cabinets for his home and that was it, it was basically brand new and I got it for $400. I know an electrician that hooked me up for $200, the press was $4000 and the cost to get everything (trailer rental etc..) was around $400. That was our first auto experience.

ive looked on craigslist, digitsmith, and ebay.  Nothing really fits the bill currently, which is why I came here.  It seems lots of people know of presses that are either for sale or possibly for sale that arent being listed anywhere.  I check craigslist, digitsmith, ebay, and forum classifieds almost every day out of habit.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 03:31:07 PM »
Just be cautious what you get, you may end up with a 3000# one color press that in the time it takes to keep running you could have printed the job by hand.

To be frank, this is sort of the way that I look at my multiprinter these days and why I am looking for a manual. I've gotten better at it, but I honestly don't do the sort of volume that would make this machine make sense at this point.