Author Topic: wow  (Read 2792 times)

Offline abchung

• !!!
Re: wow
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »
I have that kind of set up as well, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

It CAN be a lot cheaper than Manual Carousel.
1. You can use air dried inks(can be as little as $1/litre which is alot cheaper than Matsui or Plastisol, also  no flash is need because by the time you finish printing the 100th or 200th shirt the first shirt is already dry, then you go onto the next colour. Thus no need for flash or dryer.
2. It can be faster because you don't have to worry about ink drying in screen.
3. We don't have any limits on colours.

As for micro registration, the frames are manufactured with grooves on the non mesh side where you can attach metal strips to register the frames.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 09:50:53 PM »
And we think standing at a manual press pulling is work, I am almost willing to bet those guys wouldn't even want a auto press...I could be wrong though :-\
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 06:50:08 AM »

1. You can use air dried inks(can be as little as $1/litre which is alot cheaper than Matsui or Plastisol, also  no flash is need because by the time you finish printing the 100th or 200th shirt the first shirt is already dry, then you go onto the next colour. Thus no need for flash or dryer.

As for micro registration, the frames are manufactured with grooves on the non mesh side where you can attach metal strips to register the frames.

is this the only type of set up you guys use? do you account for off contact? pretty clever set up, I just can't imagine the building space being cheaper that a 1k sq/ft room for a carousel.....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 08:50:23 AM »
Not sure where it is now, but a few years back I found the specs online somewhere to build one these. Didn't look too hard to build

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »
is this the only type of set up you guys use? do you account for off contact? pretty clever set up, I just can't imagine the building space being cheaper that a 1k sq/ft room for a carousel.....

In many places labor and space are cheaper than machines. Quite the opposite of here in the US of A.

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »
It is not the only setup, we use 2 manual carousels (6 colours, 12 colours). These carousels are for higher quality printing with Plastisol or Matsui Inks. While for air dried inks are for cheap quality.

Off contact?
We usually stick coins or plastic strips on the underside of the screen.

Space vs carousel?
Don't forget the running cost. Carousel will need good quality inks, good screens, good squeegees and electricity to make it run smoothly.
Also for people who are starting out, all they need is approximately $100 U.S and a some space (room, back yard, or lane way).

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 12:16:07 PM »
Mark Gervais, a long time production manager here in Socal has been running production for Ningbo in China for years.   He does have miles of table set ups, (6-7 kilometers!). His are slanted pallets to make large prints easier to print.  He likes them better than his huge presses for the flexibility they offer.  The best thing about these types of set ups is you can flash every print and there is no limit on the number of colors you can run.  On his tables the flash is on a geared track that has a speed adjustment and travels along automatically for the correct dwell time to flash.  It can be ten pallets behind color one and color two can be the same distance behind the flash for ultra cool pallets.  Accuracy is amazingly accurate with good 3 point stops and skilled printers.  Sim Process is not an issue.  Dot on dot reg. 
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »

How do you print with out the shirt moving for the next color? On the large table setups?

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 03:18:09 PM »
What isn't that how everyone does it? I guess I need a new press:(

RT Screen Designs
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 03:33:04 PM »
Actually, I don't know why more people starting out with no money don't make these, instead of buying cheap rotary presses that won't hold registration, or building crappy wooden rotary presses that won't hold registration, although that weeds out those who think a ponytail and a six-pack of beer is all you need to be a "screen printer". You don't have to have a large room dedicated to rows of shortboards. 3 or 4 would be plenty to start if you were working alone.
The big advantage of a rotary press is positioning a flash unit in one spot to swing your shirt carousel underneath for flashing or curing while you continue to print.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 04:51:57 PM »
I saw a set-up on Amazing Race from Sri Lanka that I think had a dozen stations in an oval configuration......

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »

How do you print with out the shirt moving for the next color? On the large table setups?

Most people here print on pre-sewn tshirts because:
1. If there are any rejects, we only pay for the fabric.
2. Cheaper to set up a large table that can cater to any size of print.

The big advantage of a rotary press is positioning a flash unit in one spot to swing your shirt carousel underneath for flashing or curing while you continue to print.

Yes, agree if you are printing with Plastisol or Matsui. But then I say this:
ROBOTIC FLASH DRYER.mpg