Author Topic: Computer heats up/shuts down, but have 3 fans on it.  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
Re: Computer heats up/shuts down, but have 3 fans on it.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 12:30:16 AM »
Yea, they sure do.  I keep telling my son, ya know, you can actually make money using that computer rather than playing games all night.
He's not at that point yet I guess.

Here are some more specs on what he's running. I'm sure everyone will see big holes in the system that need upgraded. He got it at a pawn shop just to play games and doesn't have a bunch of $ to put into it.

Processor ADM Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4400_3.306 GHZ
4 GM memory.
2 GB on Vid card. Nvidia GeForce GT 640

Running 64bit Vista

Minimum power supply req for that would be 350W. If it was a good PSU.

The system is a little dated for the latest games.

Have him go into settings and crank down some of the unneeded details. There is a balance that can be struck in having enough detail and resolution to play effectively, and having the settings low enough to not hammer the GPU and CPU to the point of instability.

Also, BUY MORE RAM.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »

Running 64bit Vista

Also, BUY MORE RAM.

Not sure more RAM will help much.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 11:33:03 PM »
Here is a pic of some areas that talk about temperature on his system.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 07:43:29 AM »
i would buy a GOOD poer supply, one rated gold or platinum.  Power supplies create 2 things...DC power and heat..cheap ones are much better at creating heat.

I changed ours out here and the systems run cooler, and they use less power as well.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »
60 celsius is typically the "getting to hot" tempature for an AMD processor. Once you get in that area you will start to have issues like freeze ups and BSOD's. 90 celsius is when processors break down irreversibly.

Let us know the MB brand and I can point to the software needed to help monitor and control CPU temperatures. As said dialing down settings is highly recommended to help with the temps and look and see if the case can have more fans added.
"No man is an island"