Author Topic: I have no idea  (Read 4342 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
I have no idea
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:26:28 PM »
How to print this, sep this, dont know how many colors etc. For someone only doing vector art in Corel how should I handle this one going on black shirts.
https://www.hightail.com/download/ZUczZm1kdENoeVlPd3NUQw

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: I have no idea
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:06:42 PM »
What shirt color?

Auto/Manual?

screen/press capability?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 03:10:12 PM »
blaCk shirts
Auto 8/10
Only  good screens I have are 150/48 and 225/40 smesh static's and some ok 305s
Customer is under the impression that it's 2 colors lol.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 03:54:43 PM »
Depending on customer's budget either run it through an automated sep program or send it to someone to separate.

Now can you help me out on what that is supposed to be?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »
They are church groups, they usually are pretty simple with their designs but we actually took the business over from another printer. There is a guy that goes to the church that works for the ex printer and does some design work though not sure if he designed this.  I think he is trying to make it hard on us.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »
How many pieces is the job? If it's not that many pieces, you may want to contract DTG it and save yourself the headache.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »
70 pieces of each.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 04:59:42 PM »
I have done some stuff like this with a simple halftone underbase and transparent ink overlay. 3 screens (underbase, pink, highlight) You could even do it with 2 screens if you lighten the halftone area a ton so you can PFP the white and then print the pink.

If the customer thinks its 2 colors they will never pay for this to be done with 4 to 5 screens so that why I am suggesting this cheap quick way.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:05:07 PM by Jon »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »
this one is easy.
convert to grayscale and invert. This is your underbase.
convert to CMYK and select the magenta channel. that's your color.
copy the underbase and adjust the halftones until you eliminate most of the things below 50% (with a slider). You'll be left with the highlight white.

experienced separator can have this ready for you in 15 min.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 07:06:21 PM »
I would do this with 3 screens: tonal underbase white, magenta, and top white.  Pierre explained the process for sepping.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »
So following Pierre's way this is what I came up with. Does this look right? I would still need to work on the text.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 07:40:17 PM »
Your underbase should include the text.  Also I believe your UB is backwards.  The top should have more white as it is lighter, and the bottom should have less so the shirt can come through and darken your magenta.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 07:51:29 PM »
hmmm I did it exactly the way Pierre described. I will play with it more tonight and tomorrow.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
this one is easy.
convert to grayscale and invert. This is your underbase.
convert to CMYK and select the magenta channel. that's your color.
copy the underbase and adjust the halftones until you eliminate most of the things below 50% (with a slider). You'll be left with the highlight white.

experienced separator can have this ready for you in 15 min.

pierre
this is a great post especially for a Photoshop novice like me. Learned so much especially as an example file was posted so we could easily follow it step by step. now two question, if you would want to underbase the text too how would you go and do that? And which slider are we talking about for adjusting the highlight white? Curves and then set output to under 50%? I Love learning all these things:)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 08:36:58 PM »
So following Pierre's way this is what I came up with. Does this look right? I would still need to work on the text.

Gerry,
You are on the right track!
Put the black background under the image and merge then do what I explained. Your text should be black, indicating the solid ubase.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!