Author Topic: Ellipse Vrs Dot shape benefit "example attached"  (Read 23843 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Ellipse Vrs Dot shape benefit "example attached"
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 11:59:30 AM »
All interesting reads. Love it.

Here is an example, as best i recall, 55 lpi-25% tint, heavyweight t-shirt, manual press.

Great picture. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I still don't really think your issue here is garment weave.  Are you sure that you did not already have weaker areas in your films?  I've seen some RIPS provide this effect straight out of the film printer depending on a few things. 1, a weak rip system. Some are worse than others. 2, Rollers need cleaned and can be skipping so to speak. I'm not claiming to be an expert in those areas, but thats what I've seen.

I say that, because really, you should bot be seeing stronger and weaker dots (due to the weave of a garment) at 55 lpi-25% tint. If so, then I would suggest that you have other issues outside of the weave factor. When looking at it, it may make you think it's the weave (by appearance only).

A 55 lpi-25% tint, is actually a pretty robust percentage. I would venture to say that at a 25% tint, you should not even get weave interference at 65 line screen. 5% on a 65 line screen is more like the range for weave interference from what I've experienced. I could be wrong. I'm open to proving me wrong. It's educational.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline squeezee

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 12:23:01 PM »
I can make them round/ellipse/line, it just takes a little playing with the postscript definitions.
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 02:07:30 PM »
I once tried to create my own postscript halftones using my logo.  I never really took the time to complete it. Would have been cool though.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline yorkie

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 08:44:21 PM »
I could be wrong. I'm open to proving me wrong. It's educational.

I'm not proving anything to anyone. If you care, look the next time you print a halftone on a heavyweight shirt. Look real close.

Every dot printed on a textile is effected by the knit.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »
I don't doubt you really. Just never experienced it that way myself.

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 08:12:04 PM »
I prefer the four angle set. It holds better shadow detail and is more forgiving when slightly out of register.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 10:39:18 PM »
It's interesting how very different our preferences can be. I don't doubt that these other angles work for others. For me and my customers thus far, we don't have any issues with miss aligned angles....that I am aware of. Nobody makes me aware of any issues. I do see the results tho. For example, you can find a CMYK job I separated here on this forum. I think it's in Gallery and posted by Pierre from Blue Moon. It was all done at 22.5 in straight process. The interesting part is that it is riddled with areas of solid consistent colors. These are typical areas where if you are going to see moire or mesh interference.

It's a cartoon in CMYK as well as having an underbase for medium colored garments.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:25:44 PM by Dottonedan »

Offline Orion

• !!!
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 10:56:58 PM »
I agree Dan, we all do things differently. I guess it is just what works, or what we have learned over the years, as to how we approach the execution of our jobs. Discussing how we do things differently and what works for us is what I am here for.
Dale Hoyal

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 11:07:25 PM »
I agree Dan, we all do things differently. I guess it is just what works, or what we have learned over the years, as to how we approach the execution of our jobs. Discussing how we do things differently and what works for us is what I am here for.

YIIEEEPEEE! I keep thinking about it and wandering if I am missing something by sticking to the same angles (sorry Dan!). Have you tried to do the same print with both and compared?

Could it be that one works better for some and the other is better for the rest?

I know Dan is firmly in the 22.5 clan and the other person I respect very much (His royal highness) is hard core rosette supporter. I have been printing 22.5, and thanx to Dan doing rather well, so there is no question that some remarkable prints can be produced by using the same angles, but I should really try the rosette just to see what happens.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline squeezee

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 04:41:39 AM »
I will point out that 'everything at 22' is almost unique to the tshirt industry!
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 07:42:34 AM »
I will point out that 'everything at 22' is almost unique to the tshirt industry!
I work in Flexo printing Co. and we use some weird numbers for our angles. Something like 7 for Cyan, 28 Magenta, 35 Yellow and 51 Black. Any other screened color should not be any of those before mentioned angles.
Do not ask me why those exact numbers.

Offline Orion

• !!!
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »
I respect very much (His royal highness) is hard core rosette supporter.

If you mean Coudray, well yeah he is.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 04:59:08 PM »
I believe Pierre is referring to "The Duke of York" aka Yorkie to these forums. 

Offline yorkie

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 10:22:30 PM »
I work in Flexo printing Co. and we use some weird numbers for our angles. Something like 7 for Cyan, 28 Magenta, 35 Yellow and 51 Black. Any other screened color should not be any of those before mentioned angles.
Do not ask me why those exact numbers.

The reason why, is the anilox roller has a 45 degree angle. An anilox roller is what transfers the ink onto the flexo plate. Because the ink is being transfered at a 45 degree angle, it could moire or strobe with the halftone angles of the dots etched into the flexo plate. Since the anilox was 45, every other angle needed to rotate.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 10:31:10 PM »
Orion meet The Duke(ie) of York(ie)!

That last answer is why we missed him so much!

Your Royal Highness,  can you under any circumstances (in your opinion) see where a 22.5 would be a better choice than a rosette?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!