Author Topic: Freight Claims  (Read 5727 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Freight Claims
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 05:56:01 PM »
It is why I am now very skeptical of buying used equipment now. Even new you dont have any guarantees on the freight, man I hope this works out for you.

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 06:03:58 PM »
Over that much damage you might need to get a lawyer involved. Or at least talk to one to see what your options are. Lawyers usually speed things up. The trucking company has cargo insurance probably with a $5000 deductible on their part. I don't know much of the 10 cent per pound deal, that's pretty stupid.

I hope things work out for you. Man that sucks.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 06:28:27 PM »
This is pretty standard fine print you will find on BOL's

Carrier liability with shipment originating within the United States: Unless the Shipper declares excess value on the Bill of Lading below, requests excess liability coverage and pays an
additional charge, Carrier’s maximum liability is $25.00 per pound per individual lost or damaged piece within the shipment, subject to $150,000.00 maximum total liability per shipment, and provided
further that Carrier’s liability on articles other than new articles, including but not limited to used, remanufactured or refurbished articles, shall not exceed ten cents ($.10) per pound per individual
lost or damaged piece within the shipment. And, provided further, that Carrier’s liability on household goods and personal effects shall not exceed ten cents ($.10) per pound per individual lost or
damaged piece within the shipment. For this purpose the declared value of the property is hereby specifically stated by the Shipper to be $ , and Shipper agrees to pay an additional
charge for excess liability coverage. Total declared value may not exceed $650,000.00 per shipment.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 09:20:33 PM »
Really sorry to hear about this.  As someone about to have a brand new press shipped to my shop, it also makes me a bit nervous.

What is the best course of action to take to ensure that the cost of the equipment is covered, even under the worst of circumstances? 
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 06:18:57 AM »
It is why I am now very skeptical of buying used equipment now. Even new you dont have any guarantees on the freight, man I hope this works out for you.

I agree with this.  Buying new you have a different leverage...  if a M&R press was to come in destroyed they ship a BUNCH of stuff with companies like that, they could easily threaten to stop using them as leverage to get reimbursed.  I would also go out on a limb and say most reputable manufactures would make it right either way on a new machine damaged in shipping. 

Used your often dealing with either a seller who is selling because they are closing (broke) or downsizing or a broker who hasn't even seen it and has no money in the profit to make it right.  There are exceptions of course.

When we buy used, we buy it and pick it up ourselves and transport it ourselves.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 11:53:33 AM »
The trucking company has cargo insurance probably with a $5000 deductible on their part.

That number can vary widely.......Some cargo companies "self insure" and carry this risk on their own.....Sometimes they ""re-insure" over a much higher limit....So numerous small claims are handled in-house and only after a certain amount (individually or cumulatively) do they actually go to an insurer...

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 12:56:31 PM »

I agree with this.  Buying new you have a different leverage...  if a M&R press was to come in destroyed they ship a BUNCH of stuff with companies like that, they could easily threaten to stop using them as leverage to get reimbursed.  I would also go out on a limb and say most reputable manufactures would make it right either way on a new machine damaged in shipping. 

Used your often dealing with either a seller who is selling because they are closing (broke) or downsizing or a broker who hasn't even seen it and has no money in the profit to make it right.  There are exceptions of course.

When we buy used, we buy it and pick it up ourselves and transport it ourselves.
we purchase a Ryder on our policy to protect our customers. That way if the carrier denies coverage we turn it over to our insurance company. Insurance company against insurance company ends up a win for the customer. Part of why you buy from companies like M&R.
Rich Hoffman

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 01:10:56 PM »

we purchase a Ryder on our policy to protect our customers. That way if the carrier denies coverage we turn it over to our insurance company. Insurance company against insurance company ends up a win for the customer. Part of why you buy from companies like M&R.

I agree, when making a large purchase like an Auto, unless its just small money where you can afford the risk... it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me without being ULTRA careful and having seen a few deals now and the way these brokers work (not all), boy is it a crap shoot and most people do not cover their bases all the way!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 02:34:33 PM »
I'd still be throwing up....good luck zoo.

I have a new compressor coming and now I'm all nervous
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline CGS

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 05:38:28 PM »
Freightquote has been pretty good on claim payout in our case. Few ink and chemicals claims were paid fast. However we did have a full truck shipment that got double brokered and damaged a few print heads. Their claims dept. did help us go after the carriers insurance company and eventually got paid. It took 11 months though, but certainly better that the $.10 a pound they originally offered. Send before and after photos to your rep. there and keep on him and their claims department.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 06:26:17 PM »
Sqslabs, to answer your question:
  • I agree with Brandt and others, transport yourself if possible.
  • When not possible to drive it yourself do a full truckload.  It's the next best thing and there is no transferring of the load which is where the damage seems to always happen.
  • Insure the living hell of out everything from every angle you can.

I too am beginning to question buying used at all.  This press is (was) near new, a 2013 with low impressions.  It likely should have been classed as new equip.  Anyways, my point is that I did everything right or so it seemed: used a broker to set it all up on the freight and professionals to do the inspection, teardown and crating.  I can't believe I spent 2600 on getting the machinery on the truck just to have them do this to it.  It really does seem like it's not worth it at some point.

Rich, you mentioned putting a rider in your co. insurance.  I'm now wondering if our co.'s insurance wouldn't cover this, it's very comprehensive.  Thanks for the idea, it's an incredibly sharp move to pit the two insurance co.'s against each other.  I imagine the resolutions are much faster as well.

Here are some pics of the carnage.

I'm going to inspect each head more closely today.  It may not be a total loss of these heads if the linear travel of the carriage hasn't been distorted.  If the linear travel was true on the head it would just be a matter of replacing screen holders and all the other components.  Expensive and wrong that we would incur that cost but still cheaper than replacing with brand new, complete head assys.  However, the AC heads and controllers took some serious hits and that could be a deal killer for trying to repair heads.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:29:13 PM by ZooCity »

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 06:29:11 PM »
Wow looks pretty rough.  Did the truck driver say much about it?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2014, 07:36:47 PM »
wow...what the freak were they even thinking...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 10:15:27 PM »
Driver said he's never seen anything like that and would have rejected the whole thing.  It's fairly obvious it happened at the last transfer in SLC. That's the last time it was loaded.

I have no idea how someone just does that and sends the trailer off.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2014, 05:46:28 AM »
Ya you would think that they would just unload it and call you/the shipper.  At least that would be the honest thing to do.