Author Topic: Best Supplier of Tight Statics  (Read 5890 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Best Supplier of Tight Statics
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 05:06:50 PM »
whoa whoa whoa guys...are you guys essentially saying that different things work for different people and not every shop is the exact same?

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Steve

Good thread actually, despite the tension (little joke there, very little). I was also a little surprised that having the equipment and not using it seemed a little strange, but we've had a second thought or too as well. As long as I've been in it, I always appreciate how others look at, even folks half my age or a quarter of my experience...
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline SteveS

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 05:53:08 PM »
whoa whoa whoa guys...are you guys essentially saying that different things work for different people and not every shop is the exact same?

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Steve

Good thread actually, despite the tension (little joke there, very little). I was also a little surprised that having the equipment and not using it seemed a little strange, but we've had a second thought or too as well. As long as I've been in it, I always appreciate how others look at, even folks half my age or a quarter of my experience...

I appreciate the sentiment. It really comes down to production for us. We're not printing clothing lines, we're printing a lot of spot color business to business and school stuff. We want to get it on and off press as fast as possible. If we have jobs on the log and have 3 people in my shop, the economics of the matter clearly dictate good, tight as you can statics and keep the carousel spinning. It's really that simple. We have a market that we cater to and no one has issues with our quality, even with crappy static screens with 12-15 newtons tension. However, if I can buy tighter static screens for the same or not much more money, I can't see where you can make an argument in our shop simply based on Alan's information above.

Simply put and rarely remembered...."I want to work on my business, not in my business". I could care less about having "status" as long as I making a bunch of money and rewarding my employees.

A t-shirt is a t-shirt. If the customer is happy and paying their bills, then I am real happy. Don't really care how I got there.

Offline starchild

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 06:33:21 PM »
Whoop Whoop! To the high tension, thick threads and less than optimal open area crew. Some don't know why they need the high tension but damn if they print at 20n with low elongation mesh.

The tension is only high because it's needed to get those fat boy thread, mesh openings to look squared-tangle. High tension does not denote balanced mesh. And because the mesh is stretched so high and improperly, it will loose major newtons during production. Or you can use thin threads which has a low elongation that does not  have to be stretched high for the mesh to be balanced- whether statics or retensionables. Request for high tension screens suggests that one is not clear on the role that tension (static and dynamic) play in the process. I agree with jsheridan- that no time excuse is  weak.. I want high tension fat boy threads because we're busy.

Sent using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:57:51 PM by starchild »

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 07:21:25 PM »
I appreciate the sentiment. It really comes down to production for us. We're not printing clothing lines, we're printing a lot of spot color business to business and school stuff. We want to get it on and off press as fast as possible. If we have jobs on the log and have 3 people in my shop, the economics of the matter clearly dictate good, tight as you can statics and keep the carousel spinning. It's really that simple. We have a market that we cater to and no one has issues with our quality, even with crappy static screens with 12-15 newtons tension. However, if I can buy tighter static screens for the same or not much more money, I can't see where you can make an argument in our shop simply based on Alan's information above.

Simply put and rarely remembered...."I want to work on my business, not in my business". I could care less about having "status" as long as I making a bunch of money and rewarding my employees.

A t-shirt is a t-shirt. If the customer is happy and paying their bills, then I am real happy. Don't really care how I got there.

I'm not trying to knock your style, but your logic falls apart when you started talking about 12-15n screens.  Whether your customers are happy or not, a screen at that tension will affect your "on and off as fast as possible" far beyond what you may think, and in turn greatly affect your bottom line.  As anyone who's ever tried to push white ink through a screen in that tension range can attest to, it causes more problems than anything else in the equation.

In short, higher tension = faster setup times, much more consistent prints, and less stressed employees. I know this as someone who made the change and would never look back. The cost of mesh or screens in relation to the time lost using sub-par tension is not even a drop in the bucket.

Just my .02

Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 08:07:14 PM »
We have a L2 Roller Master and a bunch of M3 frames but we're just too busy and have too much employee turnover to keep all the Newman's stretched and ready.

With that table it takes less time to stretch a good frame than it does to order a static. Just sayin.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline SteveS

Best Supplier of Tight Statics
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 09:21:22 PM »
Maybe you guys that want to keep hammering home the benefits of stretching your own screens should start your own thread. I just wanted the discussion centered around suppliers of tight new statics or re-stretched frames.

If its such a great deal and investment, I wonder why no one is scooping up my table and frames? At 40% below new for basically brand new stuff, you guys should be falling all over yourselves to drive to H-Town to pick this stuff up.

Just my $0.02.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2014, 09:41:07 PM »
Maybe you guys that want to keep hammering home the benefits of stretching your own screens should start your own thread. I just wanted the discussion centered around suppliers of tight new statics or re-stretched frames.

If its such a great deal and investment, I wonder why no one is scooping up my table and frames? At 40% below new for basically brand new stuff, you guys should be falling all over yourselves to drive to H-Town to pick this stuff up.

Just my $0.02.

I was talking about statics.  And nobody is jumping on your table and frames because they already have them.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2014, 10:39:17 PM »
One thing to consider about s-mesh is that it's fragile. So if your guys aren't particularly careful then you may want to shy away from s-mesh static's. pretty much any snall nick in the mesh and it will rip apart in a few minutes.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 10:50:33 PM »

Just my $0.02.

I would be but I switched to retens.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

Best Supplier of Tight Statics
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 11:31:52 PM »

Just my $0.02.

I would be but I switched to retens.
of all different shapes and sizes!

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 01:19:37 AM »
One thing to consider about s-mesh is that it's fragile. So if your guys aren't particularly careful then you may want to shy away from s-mesh static's. pretty much any snall nick in the mesh and it will rip apart in a few minutes.

This is actually a really good point. (maybe appropriate for another thread though) If you have a shop with high turnover you may be pulling your hair out when untrained staff are popping s-mesh screens right and left.

Shurloc EZ frames are great when you have a shop full of green employees that are busting mesh. A new panel takes only a minute to pop back in.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 05:44:37 AM »

No Dave says that

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »
Yesterday we reflecting on the colorful history of the company. Seventeen years ago when I started here the recently departed consultant had purchased 600 roller frames. She had the (8 person) Screen Department track each screen with historical information such as # impressions, ink used, squeegee information, re-ten history, etc. Commendable? Perhaps. But consider that we are a factory, not a laboratory. One could argue that the unexamined business is not worth running and that statement is certainly true. However, there comes a point where certain tenants are proved successful and not needed to be put under a microscope; at least on a daily basis. I immediately sold all the roller frames and used the money to purchase a stretching table and rigid frames and bolt mesh. The roller frames (especially back then when the corners were over softened) were too troublesome and certainly not necessary for waterbased inks. We have never looked back. The screen making process; while some may deem antiquated, is unbroken and as seamless as it needs to be; with a reduction of six employees. That's what works here, your results may vary.
Now back to work

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 12:00:36 PM »

Don't really care how I got there.

Thats pretty obvious

I'd wager that Marshall had guys like you in mind when he wrote this

http://atkinsontshirt.com/2014/08/09/lame-excuses-apparel-decorators-make/

This one hits your.. I don't have the time squarely on the head.

http://atkinsontshirt.com/2013/03/23/feed-the-eagles-starve-the-turkeys/
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline SteveS

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2014, 12:14:26 PM »
Dude, if you only knew all the personal messages I've received about you being such a tool, you'd drop your badgering on this thread. You're only making yourself look bad.