Author Topic: Car Art: Open to All (vehicles and the like)  (Read 5596 times)

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
Re: Car Art: Open to All (vehicles and the like)
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 06:43:54 PM »
Vehicles but not cars... shirt design for Navy flight training wing done in Illustrator and Photoshop:

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 05:19:20 PM »
Vehicles but not cars... shirt design for Navy flight training wing done in Illustrator and Photoshop:

Very nice and clean.

I'm wondering, how do most of you guys handle getting jobs in similar to this but they send you good photo's.  I always do what they give me, in other words, if they say they want a design put together with these elements, and they send good photo's, I take it (without asking), that they want a photo design. With me never asking, I might be leaving money on the table.

Do you try and work in a re draw or just do what they are initially requesting? Sometimes I feel like I could take it to an illustration level, and make more $ off the job but I never really try to get them to go this way unless they specifically ask for it.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline wesdeselms

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 08:45:17 PM »
I'm not sure I can answer all your question exactly. I feel masking and airbrushing (charged or not) will make it tons easier to separate and print. Separating a non-illustrated design would stink and leave everyone with bad results. Look at the cockpit on the design. 2 blues and a black? 1 blue and a black? Easy! What he started with probably looked nothing like what he ended up with. Making the airbrushed one simple to sep and good looking to print. So, the customer will be happy and come back to you every time he needs something... thats money right there!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 09:22:17 PM »
I'm not sure I can answer all your question exactly. I feel masking and airbrushing (charged or not) will make it tons easier to separate and print. Separating a non-illustrated design would stink and leave everyone with bad results. Look at the cockpit on the design. 2 blues and a black? 1 blue and a black? Easy! What he started with probably looked nothing like what he ended up with. Making the airbrushed one simple to sep and good looking to print. So, the customer will be happy and come back to you every time he needs something... thats money right there!

True for most situations. I'm a bit different on the separations end, in that I have built a strong career in separating other peoples art (any kind) including photo's and have developed sort of a skill at that. Computer generated, Photo's, original watercolors, oils, scans of printed designs, etc. So that part has not been a concern.

I've just been thinking as far as "creating" art, I've not pushed having some of these jobs go more towards Illustration rather than photo. Photo lends more to just design layout and production/seps work. Illustration would be the first part, + lean towards more money/higher perceived value is what I'm thinking.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »
I've got a bike and car I'm going to trace in Illy very detailed and i'm looking at atleast 20 hours into both, I'll work a few hours here and there until done...customer wants a vector look
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 11:56:54 PM »

True for most situations. I'm a bit different on the separations end, in that I have built a strong career in separating other peoples art (any kind) including photo's and have developed sort of a skill at that. Computer generated, Photo's, original watercolors, oils, scans of printed designs, etc. So that part has not been a concern.

I've just been thinking as far as "creating" art, I've not pushed having some of these jobs go more towards Illustration rather than photo. Photo lends more to just design layout and production/seps work. Illustration would be the first part, + lean towards more money/higher perceived value is what I'm thinking.

I was given good, sharp reference photos of the plane and other items in the design. They wanted mods to the paint job, plus, yes, what wesdeselms said is right... illustration from scratch improves over the photos a lot by simplifying the image in certain areas... and I do sometimes use my keylines from the painting process for selecting certain areas when sepping.

But to answer Dan's original question, I was hired specifically to do an illustrated piece based on what the client saw in my portfolio, which is all illustrations. Most of the time, I get work via one of my portfolio websites... clients hire me based on what they see and expect it to look like that and are usually prepared to pay for the extra effort.

The wings pin and aircraft carrier were supplied photos. I often use photos in backgrounds and when I can, I use my own. I'll post some examples. But the focal points will pretty much always be illustrations because that's what my clients are expecting for their money.

It's my "thing."

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline wesdeselms

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »
I couldn't agree more. I ALWAYS take the photo to another level... because I believe that is why they came to me. I hue and saturate, mask, airbrush, etc. I pull out all the stops I can for a client.
That said, I won't create a $200 design for $50. Know your client and where they want to go.
Most of my work is a client saying "I like this design... make it mine" or "Can you separate this in the next 20 minutes".
I can do most things but my main motivation is paying the electric bill!

Offline lemorris

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 12:17:27 AM »
...and your "Thing" is good Mr. Scott.

Very good.

Here's a car thing.  landed OK.  It was fun

Offline dlac

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 10:13:21 AM »
How about a truck.. I swear every grain farmer in the country has an older Peterbilt or Kenworth that they want on a shirt.. Bring it..
dlac
Rastor to Vector is my favorite.. disastor is my
specialty and Dots make me crazy...

Offline Racer Tees

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 03:59:27 AM »
Some sick work in this thread.  Here's a few of my more recent pieces.

Offline lemorris

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 01:19:36 PM »
Nice man!

Thanks for posting up here and there too.

Your work is great.

Offline lemorris

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 01:20:50 PM »
Little Devil!

Love the lowbrow stuff.

Nice one!

Offline HotRodKristina

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 04:59:42 PM »
Recycled my Big Tow For this one - it's Photoshop spot channels

This is vector art

Couple clip art trucks I have, put them on purdy backgrounds:

Offline Racer Tees

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 05:03:21 PM »
Nice man!

Thanks for posting up here and there too.

Your work is great.

Thanks!  I can't take all the credit.  Been sending out the cars to another artist here lately as I just don't have the time to keep up with them.  I do get to do the completed design though.

Offline wesdeselms

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 07:51:43 PM »
Little Devil!

Love the lowbrow stuff.

Nice one!
Thanks bro!
I like the deadpan stuff... and I really appreciate your elementary designs too.
You should focus on "less is more"...more often.
Sometimes the eyes need serenity in waves to take in the whole.
Wow... I sound insane! You know what I mean though. Right?