Author Topic: Artist/Art files  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Artist/Art files
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 02:41:55 PM »
the reason you shouldn't get CDR files is because EPS is the vector standard.  I don't like getting CDR or AI, usually when folks convert to an EPS the options are checked for fonts to outlines and such.

That being said I had another local printer trying to send me files...they can't open an EPS.  No joke.  This isn't an promotional products company either.  I am about to walk away from it.  I don't need the headache.

Can't open an .eps file? Jeez, time for some homework. What could they be using that won't open or import an .eps file?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 02:46:53 PM »
eps files are far from standard......Any number of programs can save as an eps but each can be quite different...Publisher can save as a an eps and when Illustrator opens them, they are a mess....

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 02:52:22 PM »
I think unlayered PDF's are THE standard, or a 300dpi to scale jpeg...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »
probably depends on the use actually.  nearly every ASI company i work with lists EPS as the preferred type.  of course, if i was in publishing or offset, PDFs would rule the day.

she probably could open it.  there are a ton of programs that can, some of them are free.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 05:26:39 PM »
eps files are far from standard......Any number of programs can save as an eps but each can be quite different...Publisher can save as a an eps and when Illustrator opens them, they are a mess....

As I recall, eps files originally saved to be sent to imagesetters... I haven't had any problems with .eps per se, but sometimes people save junk as an .eps, like when they send you a jpeg, you ask for a better file, so they save the jpeg as an .eps or .ai file, still junk...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 05:33:58 PM »
Just like how some folks save PDFs......

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »
I find that a solution for those who send 72 dpi not to size is just print out a color version and ask them to sign off on it. The apparent pixel mess they see can be recreated on their end with a black and white printer. Can't tell you how many times artists have reduced the original file so it is small enough to email!  Do the calcuations to get to the percentage of enlargement.  Then have them print it out at the enlarged percentage, When asked to fix it, bow out.  Unless you are certain you can recreate it perfectly it will just lead to approval issues, color issues, quality. Same with Business card art, it is not a printer's problem.  No matter the service motto, you lose money on poor art and customers as well when it looks nothing like their monitor.  Business card Art - I price it high enough to make money, painful enough so they get it right or get someone else to do it. Imagine receiving an outstanding band design with guitars, fire, dragons, and goth metal all over at 72DPI a day before the opening tour concert.  Not the printers responsibility, yet since we are last in the production line we look like the bad guy if it isn't done.  Tough to say no to a customer, but I have done the 24 hour shift before and it didn't pay enough to pull a 2 day shift!  Hence, any customer gets the full art checklist with a warning that deadlines are dependent on receiving the art to spec.  One box not checked off and we don't print.  I also ask them to have their artist initial next to all the specs, and yet still get 72 dpi.  We made those companies send us the artist for 1/2 a day to work in the sep dept.  Seems to fix things.  Some artists don't even know how to send large files!  WOW.  Square one for art file transmission.

Al 
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com