Author Topic: 9 color spot separation Photoshop video tutorial  (Read 4397 times)

Offline myseps

• Master Color Separator
9 color spot separation Photoshop video tutorial
« on: February 25, 2015, 03:31:40 PM »
Here is a color separation technique that I like using CMYK and a Photoshop feature called "Calculations". Learn how to find and separate the following 9 colors: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Purple, Red, Green, Gray, Black, and White

http://youtu.be/EVubg0o_6ig
myseps.com color separations by Scott D.   Follow me on facebook

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
Re: 9 color spot separation Photoshop video tutorial
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
Awesome, thanks man..  8)
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 04:34:49 PM »
What if grey wasn't so simple to clean up.

Offline myseps

• Master Color Separator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 04:40:26 PM »
What if grey wasn't so simple to clean up.

Good question.  Another way to clean up the grey is to create a mask from a selection using your layers.   (This is where having good layers can be helpful)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 05:09:27 PM »
As a way to illustrate the technique, this video was great, but I feel like you should have included something that wasn't a straightforward spot color image, or should create a followup video showing the technique applied to something more complex to show any quirks that might show up (like Gilligan mentioned).  For spot color art I end up using select color or magic wand with contiguous unchecked more often than not, and it works perfectly well on an image like in the video and takes basically no time at all.  Obviously this is superior for complex art and shows a cool technique, but I would love to see how you would approach other kinds of art.

Offline myseps

• Master Color Separator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 05:18:44 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion!  Im new to making these tutorial videos, but it's something i'd like to continue and contribute to the community.
I don't suggest using Color range or magic wand to select colors for your separation, as it often will be unable to select enough of the color, leaving a gap between colors (or too much color, causing the need to clean up more).   This method works the best for me to get the most accurate separation possible.   This method also applies to complex artwork as well.   

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 05:25:02 PM »
Yeah, it's awesome to get a better grasp of how to use these tools... but seeing them work on a more complicated subject would probably provide more of that "Ah Ha!" moment.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion!  Im new to making these tutorial videos, but it's something i'd like to continue and contribute to the community.
I don't suggest using Color range or magic wand to select colors for your separation, as it often will be unable to select enough of the color, leaving a gap between colors (or too much color, causing the need to clean up more).   This method works the best for me to get the most accurate separation possible.   This method also applies to complex artwork as well.

I would say that depends on the tolerance you set in those tools, and the quality of the art.  Typically I don't have to do much if any editing, though if I do it is usually to toss on a stroke to create a trap here and there.  If you use default tolerance (32 I think) it will definitely cause issues with either method.  Color range is a whole different beast though.

I just wanted to reiterate that the video is awesome and I think we all appreciate it!  Only wanted to suggest showing a more real work application, even if it is brief and less annotated, at the end or in a follow up.

Offline lemorris

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:23:32 PM »
O
M
G

It may be the wrong place but I would like to publicly ask for your hand...or your photoshop knowledges hand in marriage.

LOLOL

Great vid man.  I'm all over it.

Thanks

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 12:15:14 AM »
Seps I know your a master sepper, but I'm seen many vids and some of greats in this industry use the color range even some the good sep programs use color range.  I would like to see more vids from you ,I'm with everyone else that would like to see a complex image's colors pulled the way you did in this vid.  Some images have those fat color's hanging out there which would make it very easy to sep spot colors, but the hard stuff is what I think we all would like to get an edge on.  While picking colors for seps is our goal what about getting rid of the background or removing color in hard places I know I've been using the the background eraser.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline StinkyDaddy

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:14:37 AM »
I read about calculations years ago in Bert Monroy's Channel Chops book and he did some talks on it's use at a couple of NAPP workshops. I had kinda forgot about it. Thanks.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 09:24:39 AM »
I saw this and started digging around on his youtube site and ran across this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oy_GZlxtHg

talk about a lot of work that goes into making a great sep...  for now, I'll continue sending off to him when we need to do quality separation work... well worth what he charges, and the results have spoken for themselves many times now.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 11:45:26 AM »
talk about a lot of work that goes into making a great sep...  for now, I'll continue sending off to him when we need to do quality separation work... well worth what he charges, and the results have spoken for themselves many times now.

Absolutely!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 11:58:26 AM »
I liked that video Scott.  I do things similarly but differently at the same time. 

My favorite part was your use of screening in calculations, that's one I don't use often and should.  In fact, I don't think I understand even 10% of what calculations can do yet it, along with the basic use of channels, is probably the most critical function in PS for me.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »
I saw this and started digging around on his youtube site and ran across this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oy_GZlxtHg

I've always felt that a lot of work goes into anything great, that's what makes it great. I also enjoyed the vid, as I learned this tool many years ago, it's just a big tool in the toolbox. I use it all the time, super handy. By the way, what about a nice orange? I like to use orange spots as well when needed. However, it's a rhetorical question, it's easy enough to extrapolate from what you've laid out. Nice work and great sharing.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't