Author Topic: Old Javelin Table Up is Rough  (Read 4837 times)

Offline fanhood

Old Javelin Table Up is Rough
« on: February 27, 2015, 02:52:18 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and have learned quite a bit from just reading on here. Thanks to all who contribute.

I have bought my first auto and it is an older Javelin. I have everything working great. It holds registration well and i am printing jobs as of last week!

The problem is the table up. It is as rough as a corncob. It seems as if i need to adjust the bearings on the platen arms but I'm not sure how I would get them exact, seems like that would be a factory setting(I don't know). Another problem is that my print arms seem to not be %100 secure, meaning that they move a little when it tables up. Not sure if that is by design or something is loose. I will get them lined up perfect and it will be smooth for a few prints then it seems like the distance between heads is different and it moves around.

As most you you know, I can't even describe how awesome it is not to be pulling a squeegee!

Thanks in advance!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Old Javelin Table Up is Rough
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:10:44 PM »
a few questions...

1... if you table up and grab the platens, does the table rock back and forth at all?
1b. same question, but when the table is down.

2... does it ALWAYS table up hard?

if #2 is the case it could be the indexer is out of adjustment.

you'll notice that when in auto mode and the table will start to go up and then force to the side when it goes to forks.

Offline fanhood

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 03:50:59 PM »
1.. In table up it does NOT rock back and forth at all
1b. Yes, when I put it in auto and it locks in. There is a little "play".

2. Yes it always tables up rough. How do I adjust the indexer?

When it tables down/up in auto the platen arms shift on the way up and down.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 04:14:23 PM »
good that it's not rocking, that means likely your center shaft bearings are in good condition....

on that press, there's 2 points to adjust the indexer...

first point, is the nuts at the end of the rod that attach to the index cylinder under the table.  (big long cylinder)...  this point controls the 'start' point or the table down position.  you should adjust until the table 'falls' into the registration fork smoothly on table down.

point 2 will be to adjust the index shock... this controls where the table stops when indexing... there's a jam nut on the index shock that will need to be loosened, and then there's hopefully enough distance that you can move off the HUGE nut at the end of the index shock to compensate so when it finishes indexing it goes directly into the registration gates.

best thing to do here if this is at all unclear is to give workhorse a call... Phil or any of the guys at their support department should be able to help you get it working.

Congrats on joining the auto world.

Feel free to drop me a pm if there's anything I can help with... our first auto was a Javelin, we made a lot of money with that press, and I did all the maintenance and rebuilding of it.

Offline fanhood

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 04:27:10 PM »
Awesome! Thanks!

Ill let you know how it turn out.

Offline Baron265

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 11:14:12 PM »
Start by greasing the center shaft. Visit Workhorseproducts.com and navigate to the Javelin page. Then download the manual. PM me your contacts info and I'll help you integrate into our systems.
Paul Schmidt
Regional Manager
Workhorse Products, Inc.
(602)414-3684
pschmidt@workhorseproducts.com

Offline CSPGarrett

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 11:23:24 PM »
This is dead on, our Horizon was doing this and with a few adjustments it is smooth as could be.  Best way to describe the sound and movement was when it would index up it went "wammy" and seemed to pound up to hard thus shaking the platens.  Once Anatol adjusted the indexer settings it sounds and runs just right.   Also does the Javelin have a air pressure regulator on it?  Double check that since we found getting too high in PSI can cause odd settings on the indexing.

good that it's not rocking, that means likely your center shaft bearings are in good condition....

on that press, there's 2 points to adjust the indexer...

first point, is the nuts at the end of the rod that attach to the index cylinder under the table.  (big long cylinder)...  this point controls the 'start' point or the table down position.  you should adjust until the table 'falls' into the registration fork smoothly on table down.

point 2 will be to adjust the index shock... this controls where the table stops when indexing... there's a jam nut on the index shock that will need to be loosened, and then there's hopefully enough distance that you can move off the HUGE nut at the end of the index shock to compensate so when it finishes indexing it goes directly into the registration gates.

best thing to do here if this is at all unclear is to give workhorse a call... Phil or any of the guys at their support department should be able to help you get it working.

Congrats on joining the auto world.

Feel free to drop me a pm if there's anything I can help with... our first auto was a Javelin, we made a lot of money with that press, and I did all the maintenance and rebuilding of it.
Real Quality Merchandising.  - Printing & Fulfillment Services.  Contract DTG & Screen Printing. www.customshirtprints.com

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »
I have an M&R sportsman e and it shutters when the pallets raise but not at every index.  I keep the center shaft greased.  It seems like I have to adjust the offset more 2 or 3 times during a 300 pc run.  Is that normal?

I don't do this often but yesterday I changed the rotation from clockwise to counter and the shuttering was really rough. 

I wonder if it has an index adjustment that can fix that or would it take that registration device?  If it takes the reg device then I'll probably fork over the dough to have a M&R tech do it.  I think you can buy the device but it comes without instructions. 

The press has only has 124000 impressions on it so surely it can't be that bad out.  I just don't want it to start damaging the bearings or forks.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 11:25:18 AM »
Have a tech come out and do a tune up. Have them set the reg, possibly float a fork or two, set the index home and travel, go over the machine and make sure everything is in good order. Once  the machine is set up it should not have to be adjusted or touched for a very long time.

On the Jav in addition to the threaded rod at the back of the cylinder and the shock distance you may have to adjust the shock cushion, limit switch and flow control to get it to index and raise smoothly.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »
There is a setting on the Sportsman (at least on our 2011) that incrementally adjusts the index so
it rises smoothly into forks. Works great since many times only small amounts
from home position +/- are needed.
Call the tech service first, may save $$ and headache.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 04:55:36 PM »
There is a setting on the Sportsman (at least on our 2011) that incrementally adjusts the index so
it rises smoothly into forks. Works great since many times only small amounts
from home position +/- are needed.
Call the tech service first, may save $$ and headache.

Mine is a 2010.  You are talking about the offset right?
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 08:17:42 PM »
Yes, it can be tricky adjusting from 1-5 +/- 1-5 if I remember right.
If out of adjustment more than it can give, tech is best way.

Sorry for the hijack, Javelin may have something similar, or adjusting threads
in micro increments?...

Offline Prints Charming

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 11:55:14 AM »
Sounds like one of your forks is out of position.remove all forks from machine,use pallet 1 at  first fork and adjust fork till unit moves smoothly. Then move pallet 1 to next fork and do the same .. And so on. Fell free to call me this is a very simple thing and quick to do.
Randy Wilbanks 361-533-0593 Prints Charming Royal Tees corpus Christi Texas

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 12:15:36 PM »
Removing the forks is a really good way to make sure your press won't register between arms until you get a Z-Bar and Micrometer.

Please don't do this.

if it's just table up/down where it's not hitting the right point, adjust your index shock distance by backing off the ring and adjusting +/- until it's stopping at the right point.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 04:33:55 PM »
Removing the forks is a really good way to make sure your press won't register between arms until you get a Z-Bar and Micrometer.

Please don't do this.

X2
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.