Author Topic: Anyone have any glass/bottle experience?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline ffokazak

Anyone have any glass/bottle experience?
« on: March 04, 2015, 12:21:18 PM »
Hey guys, we have recently started printing on glass...

Looking for someone to bounce a few thoughts off, and maybe gain a bit of insight.

We have had a lot of success over the last few months with print quality, finish, and durability.

But as with every aspect of life and business, there is always room for improvement :)

Just putting out a feeler!

Cheers guys! Loving the information on this forum.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
Re: Anyone have any glass/bottle experience?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 12:47:01 PM »
I have only done it a couple of times. I used the ADE series from Nazdar with a catalyst.. They looked great and I still have a few pieces around That look great after 5 years.
Matt
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 01:14:05 PM »
Right!
Were doing the ADE as well. I have another manufacturers samples coming too as well, to compare the whites. {95% of what we print will be white ink it appears}

Im finding the ADE is a bit tricky to work with as far as getting long consistent results with the finish. Leave the ink in too long and it starts to get an orange peel effect...

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 01:45:08 PM »
My experience with using the ade series has always been to use minimum amounts in the screen while printing and add in as you go to sort "freshen" up the ink. It starts to get real gummy in the screens kind of quickly. If I am printing something small such as a square shot glass it's not to bad but one time I did these big mirrors for a hotel and we had to be pretty quick about it.

And this was all done manually.

Offline ffokazak

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 04:50:42 PM »
Yeah Rusty, I feel the same way.

We've used Retarders which are useful, but Im worried will affect the final bond...

What mesh were you guys using?

Capillary emulsion, or scoop coated?

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 06:13:34 PM »
It was a while ago. But until very recently we used ulano proclaim clear. I would keep my ink very thin and use hair dryers to dry the ink. We did a huge run of 5k black mirrored plaques. I was only able to do about 1200 a day but keeping the ink super thin was the only way to accomplish it. We were using blue ink so I am not sure if that behave differently from white.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 08:38:46 AM »
we used it for mylar..black ink though..had to use retarder..hair dryers to dry more quickly..15,000 of them one summer.

and we printed on sheets of glass..had no trouble bonding on it.