Author Topic: Weird EPS Printing Issue  (Read 2196 times)

Offline 1964GN

Weird EPS Printing Issue
« on: March 11, 2015, 07:55:50 AM »
Windows 7, CS6, Accurip, Epson 4800 rolled 5mil film.

I am having an issue printing DSC EPS files. All SEPS are now done Photoshop, placed in Illustrator and the channels are printed. In a few case recently the underbase channel doesn't print.

I create channels, do my seps, convert each channel to spot, save as DCS 2, new illy doc, place file, set artboard size, set print size, print. It actually gets sent to Accurip but zips right through and nothing prints... like there is no data in that channel. I have to create a new channel copy/paste into the new channel in order to get it (underbase) to print in Illy. Very strange.

I have tried changing the mode from CMYK to multichannel but get the same results.

While I haven't tested everything I am wondering if I should be creating a new SPOT channel instead of an alpha then changing to spot, but I don't think that's the issue. I know I have done that with colors other that the underbase and they print fine.

I have tried renaming the channel, and/or resaving the PS file and replacing the original but nothing. The only thing that seems to work is creating a new channel and dumping the old/bad one.

I must be missing a step somewhere?

Offline Ross_S

Re: Weird EPS Printing Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 08:40:27 AM »
I've had that problem years ago and not sure what really fixed it.  Quick fix though go to photoshop and change the whitebase to a grey or another color other than white.  For some reason it seams to not pick up white as a color.  I use to change it to grey and it would work just fine.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 10:18:23 AM »
try opening the .psd file in illustrator directly or dragging and dropping it into your template. Eliminating the DCS file might fix it and will save you some headache.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 10:30:37 AM »
I had this happen twice to the same file.  I was using reserved names.

Make sure your channels have "odd" unique names.

Just what happened to  me, might be something completely different for you.

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 01:19:36 PM »
The only time I have troubles like this is when the base color is set as white (CMYK 0,0,0,0 or RGB 255,255,255)...any other color setting will print fine.

Best of luck,
Bill

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:31:03 PM »
Thanks for all of the tips. I have tons of film to print over the next 24 hours!