Author Topic: Reusing Press oil  (Read 1769 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Reusing Press oil
« on: March 16, 2015, 02:15:47 PM »
Got a question here, a few months ago I empty the oil from the reserve air tank on our press, (which I didn't know you had to empty in first place), would there be a problem with reusing that oil and putting back in the air dryer/oiler unit.  I didn't see any trash in it when I took it out, I'm just asking because I have a few bottles of oil sitting around.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Re: Reusing Press oil
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »
This is 100% MY opinion. I would step back and ask myself, "Would I change the oil in my truck and re-use it?" That's just me though.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:29:30 PM »
Got a question here, a few months ago I empty the oil from the reserve air tank on our press, (which I didn't know you had to empty in first place), would there be a problem with reusing that oil and putting back in the air dryer/oiler unit.  I didn't see any trash in it when I took it out, I'm just asking because I have a few bottles of oil sitting around.

darryl
Do not reuse the oil! That is a disaster waiting to happen. If you ran 24-365 you could not use enough oil to match the price of replacing all your valves!!!
Rich Hoffman

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 02:55:41 PM »
DO NOT RE-USE THE OIL.

Enough said, the oil provides more than lubrication in a mechanical world.  Flushing of debris both on a macro and microscopic level occur which is why oil in the sump can be submitted for lab examination to determine what parts are failing.

If you re-introduce the contaminated oil into your machine it would be kind of like taking a bath in the same water every day just because you can't see the chunks, its still dirty.

My 2 cents,

~Kitson
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 03:05:05 PM »
Ok 3 heavy weights have said no, so now I guess I need to take it somewhere for recycling before I get it mix up with my new oil bottles....thanks 8)

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »
or you can use it in your cheap harbor freight pneumatics...i can't tell you the last time I oiled those.

I did know somebody that would change oil in one car and put it in the other.  Out of the Nova and into the Pinto.  He hated that car.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »
I did know somebody that would change oil in one car and put it in the other.  Out of the Nova and into the Pinto.  He hated that car.

when I change the oil on my dually, I filter it with 2 oil filters, and then dump it back into the fuel tank, and top it off... been doing that since it was new... (2001, now with 150k miles on it)... fuel filters get changed every 15k, and don't seem to have any trouble with it either...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 07:11:17 PM »
Well, once warmed up a diesle will run on filtered used motor oil (or any thing really).