Author Topic: What would you do?-Stubborn distributor  (Read 2849 times)

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
What would you do?-Stubborn distributor
« on: March 30, 2015, 02:45:38 PM »
To start off, I won't mention names or products, but....

We have been buying the majority of our supplies from one distributor for over twenty years. It's been a great relationship. We've been loyal to each other. I used to get free freight on orders over "X" dollars, but that has gone up to a thousand dollars. Understandable. So we have always had it shipped UPS F/C and realized a good savings over them shipping on their account. Makes sense, yes? We have recently switched to Fed Ex for all shipments we have control over. Meaning outbound goes Fed Ex unless customer requests otherwise. Incoming packages come in FedEx F/C when we can. I mentioned to my rep at the distributorship that we would be going Fed Ex and would like to use that as incoming freight. (Not only is he my rep, but I consider him a good friend) Well after asking numerous times, five or so, apparently they are just going to say no, we can't ship Fed Ex. This means we pay more for inbound freight from this company. I'm not going to burn any bridges, or make any rash decisions, but I am frustrated that we ship to our customers per their request, but when I'm the customer, I don't get the same treatment.

So, just curious what ya all think. Am I being whiny? Should I bite my tongue, shut my mouth, push harder, or flat out switch. I'm considering a few options now, but would love to hear from you.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: What would you do?-Stubborn distributor
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 03:00:28 PM »
in this day and age with the Internet and most vendors selling the same stuff everywhere, I would tell them that you're going to switch if they don't do what you want.... if they value your business, they'll figure it out, if not... there's always someone else who would like your $$$.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »
in this day and age with the Internet and most vendors selling the same stuff everywhere, I would tell them that you're going to switch if they don't do what you want.... if they value your business, they'll figure it out, if not... there's always someone else who would like your $$$.

Ditto. And to your friend, "it's only business..." I had a contract customer have to move 50K in embroidery orders to a new vendor because the old one refused to receive an order via fax! (and it was 10 years ago, that wouldn't be a problem now obviously) You aren't asking a lot, and they should recognize that even if you do stay with them, the relationship has taken a hit, which can only get worse over time without a little attention being paid to it.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 03:38:42 PM »
I would move right on to different vendor or have them lower the minimum for free freight. There is way too much competition for them not to budge.
Matt
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 04:03:23 PM »
Knowing the fiasco i went through to use Fedex as primary outbound, ill side with the supplier in that Fedex is a PIA  to work with when you have massive amounts of items leaving your loading dock.

Everything from pickip times and different trucks for express vs ground made them tough to deal with daily.

work on terms with the supplier would be my option.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 04:08:12 PM »
I know we hate shipping our customer's stuff out via Fedex, but if our customer wants us to use Fedex, WE DO IT.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Action1

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 04:20:04 PM »
I concur with JS - They are a PIA.
They make us pay $25 to come here for a pickup because we don't have a daily service. We had refused to use them for a long time. When we have to do it - we put boxes into our car and drop off there.
If it's a large order - we eat the $25 and have them come here. I've always disliked dealing with them. The first time they hit us with the $25 we refused to pay it for years. I've always found UPS to be a much more customer friendly service.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 05:55:55 PM »
We always liked UPS a little better also, but that is changing....for us anyway. UPS prices have gone through the roof for occasional shippers, and for Amazon and Ebay, it seems like they almost GIVE it away! 

But that is off the subject, plus we don't ship everyday.

It seems like your vendor needs a heads up that you might just need to change. The threat of LOSING an account the size and longevity of yours, should give them pause. I'd think they would swallow real hard with just a gentle warning....

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 05:57:23 PM »
Find a broker.....I used to have a 6.00 fee for a Fedex pickup....Broker does huge volume so I no longer get charged the fee.....In most cases a broker will end up lower cost than anything a small shipper can get on their own....

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 06:28:03 PM »
Find a broker.....I used to have a 6.00 fee for a Fedex pickup....Broker does huge volume so I no longer get charged the fee.....In most cases a broker will end up lower cost than anything a small shipper can get on their own....

We tried that for a while, and it DID save us a little. (But very little...)  I probably need to look into it again.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 07:18:39 PM »
Ummmmmmmmmm. I would tell them to kick fu!*'ing rocks!
I understand how a good salesperson is valuable, even more valuable if they know what the hell they are talking about! But the reality is that these days it is all too easy to switch vendors, the internet has brought everyone's sales floor into your office. On top of that I think it is almost hard to find a vendor that doesn't offer free shipping. I know that changes a bit when you start talking pallets of stuff, but if you stand your ground and have them repeat to you that if you actually order more they are going to then make you pay for shipping, I have found it gets dropped. If not I tell them, that's cool I'll just order 15 smaller orders through out the day! And really if it comes to that point they either don't want your business enough, or don't respect you enough to think you are smart enough to switch vendors.

I have a sales guy I respect and actually would probably consider a friend, but he also knows for a fact if there is a better value out there that does not make things more challenging(say a 4 day ship vs. next day or same day) that is where my money is!

Guess I look at it this way, if I have a good customer and they want something that is not outrageous and I want to keep them as a customer, you better bet your bottom dollar I will accommodate! Especially for something as trivial as shipping!!!

Let's also look at the bigger picture, YOU are paying for the shipping charges!!!!!!! You are not asking them to cover them, GUARANTEED it is cheaper for them to have a FedEx pick up vs. paying actual shipping charges no matter the carrier! Most we were ever charged to schedule a FedEx pick up was $5. I don't remember what the limit is, but if it is over say 5 packages, pickup is free.

If they want you as a customer there is NO reason that they can not ship FedEx. Man Dave, it has been a long day here and a post like this just gets me all riled up!!! The "undwind" beers may also have some effect at this point.... ;D

I'd tell them next time it better be FedEx, or you will send your next PO out to a couple vendors to have them quote it.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:27:43 AM »
The threat of taking his business elsewhere is useless if he is buying specialty garments direct from the manufacturer. The other thing is that there is no such thing as free shipping. Some people spend too much time o searching for free shipping versus getting top tier pricing.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
He said "Supplies"... so it sounds like he's talking about chemicals or something similar.

Offline trebor

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 07:49:49 AM »
He said "Supplies"... so it sounds like he's talking about chemicals or something similar.

I agree with this. Free shipping often is accompanied with higher prices. If I was asked to give free shipping to a customer, I would most certainly charge a higher price. Wouldn't you?

Offline trebor

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 07:52:03 AM »
The threat of taking his business elsewhere is useless if he is buying specialty garments direct from the manufacturer. The other thing is that there is no such thing as free shipping. Some people spend too much time o searching for free shipping versus getting top tier pricing.

I agree with this. Free shipping often is accompanied with higher prices. If I was asked to give free shipping to a customer, I would most certainly charge a higher price. Wouldn't you?