Author Topic: how much do you charge to build a pantone color?  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: how much do you charge to build a pantone color?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 03:04:37 PM »
We also do not charge if the ink has been mixed and tested by us prior.  Only for new mixes.

Same here, but new mixes cost. Unless it's a pita customer, then they get charged...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline GoWestRob

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »
We don't charge for it even when we have to mix a new color, but mostly because the customers that ask for PMS matches are our very valued customers.  We throw it in for free as a courtesy.  However sometimes they forget that this extra work for us and take it for granted.  What we should do is itemize it on the invoice at full price and then promo it off so they take notice that we did some extra work pro bono.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 03:43:43 PM »
We don't charge for it even when we have to mix a new color, but mostly because the customers that ask for PMS matches are our very valued customers.  We throw it in for free as a courtesy.  However sometimes they forget that this extra work for us and take it for granted.  What we should do is itemize it on the invoice at full price and then promo it off so they take notice that we did some extra work pro bono.

Bringo.  Always list the service at it's list rate on the invoice.  If you want to discount it off the line total, go for it and note it. 

There's a book, more of a pamphlet called Pricing for Profits I think, I have it somewhere.  It's mantra is that all your clients combined bear the costs of operating and your desired level of net profit.  We really apply this to ink mixes as the first person calling out the PMS pays for us to mix, test, confirm and record. 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 03:50:38 PM »
That would be Mark Goodrich's book. Very good book, and kind of folksy. Yes, all of your labors need to be paid for, whether individually, or in your pricing structure. No "pro bono" work, they will see you as a sap. We have never had a problem getting PMS matches, and we don't do art for free either. As for valued customers, that's all of them here, no freebies, they shouldn't expect that anyway.

Steve

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
Did Mark used to edit one of the industry rags fifteen or so years ago?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 05:02:52 PM »
Yes, Andy, he did, but I forget which one. The Press, maybe?

Steve

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 05:14:53 PM »
Yes, Andy, he did, but I forget which one. The Press, maybe?

Steve

Yeah, i thought that I remembered him.  Funny story. After a brief conversation (in which I corrected something in print) he once asked me to write an article on CLC transfers, and at that moment, rather than thinking to myself "Wow! I've arrived", I thought "Oh man, these guys are desperate!"
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 05:19:10 PM »
Won't go there. If you don't have anything nice to say.......lets just say its out of print. No loss.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 07:31:27 PM »
GoWest, Great post!   Nailed it. And to itemize it and discount it!  I do that with editing files for seps. Takes more time to invoice but I put some time into it and it often never gets noticed. Some thing my magical sep software button makes that jpg at 1.5" looks sooo good. ;)

Eric, as you can see MAN! You've been Very high on that one. I have never met a shop that charged over 20.00 and most customers would squawk about that.

If a customer knows about pmts matches and requires a match, most times they do enough business that you want to make sure you keep them coming back. A high pms match like is going to scare pros away. Those higher volume repeat customers. Heck, these same customers don't usuallky see screen charges either. A flash charge?  What's that?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:34:25 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 08:36:13 PM »
GoWest, Great post!   Nailed it. And to itemize it and discount it!  I do that with editing files for seps. Takes more time to invoice but I put some time into it and it often never gets noticed. Some thing my magical sep software button makes that jpg at 1.5" looks sooo good. ;)

Eric, as you can see MAN! You've been Very high on that one. I have never met a shop that charged over 20.00 and most customers would squawk about that.

If a customer knows about pmts matches and requires a match, most times they do enough business that you want to make sure you keep them coming back. A high pms match like is going to scare pros away. Those higher volume repeat customers. Heck, these same customers don't usuallky see screen charges either. A flash charge?  What's that?

We work with tons and tons and tons of ad agencies, and graphic designers, and they ALL require exact PMS matches. It takes us a ton of time to tweak these colors in waterbased and discharge colors.

If it's a match, and something we can pull right from a bucket, or we have from previous orders, there is no charge.

But more and more we are dealing with clients that are getting pickier and more specific, which requires us to work more on our formulas.

If it's an A+ client, usually it's no issue, but more often than not, clients don't mind paying what we charge, but it was eye opening to see so many are not charging for this.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »
We charge for it especially if we are required to match a color. If you give it away you might as well just throw money in the trash. I am a great customer at our local grocery store and they dont give me sh!t for free. At least build it into the cost. The words "we dont charge for it" should be changed to " We screw ourselves out of it".

Sorry to rant but its a hot topic with me right now. I had a customer just ask for a free set up and 15% discount on a 20 pc order where they were trying to bring us the shirts. They logic was well this is my second order so I do not see the problem with it. I said I do and your discount is denied.........lol
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 09:25:50 PM »
We don`t charge anything to my annoyance. Once the new website is ready this will be changed to probably $10 per color. Alternatively customers can  choose from free standard colors which will be pretty much either Wilflex Epic RFU or Union RFU colors. Just to keep it simple. At times I feel there is too much holding hands and service required for certain type of customer in order to make them happy. Damm it some of them would not even be 100% satisfied  if we shipped a cake with their order of tees.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 09:38:12 PM »
One thing is for sure. If you don't charge the big boys, don't charge the little ones. My that reminds me of how the poor get screwed on prices of everything. Credit cards, loans, etc. no credit, oh, you pay more!
That's why I don't even own a real credit card. Haven't for maybe 10-15 years. It's a hang up of mine and probably why I won't take a loan out. Piss on them. Then again, that's probably why I'm not super successful like all you guys.

I can see charging  for it or at the least, building it into the price but dang 50-60?  But anyways,  the other thing to be clarified is...would that be a flat fee of 50.00 for the entire order? As in,  1 color or 8 colors, it's 50.00 cuz that would be acceptable and i'm down with that.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ol man

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2015, 07:58:38 AM »
Heres the next question --how often do you have to tweak a given formula? - for example we have the cci system and wilflex - cci work fairly well - minor adjustments...However the wlflex system seems to need  alot of tweaking..Alot.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2015, 01:12:20 AM »
Heres the next question --how often do you have to tweak a given formula? - for example we have the cci system and wilflex - cci work fairly well - minor adjustments...However the wlflex system seems to need  alot of tweaking..Alot.

Are you using a scale that is 0.1 or .01 of a gram? It does make a difference for Wilflex.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin