Author Topic: WTB Tension meter  (Read 1239 times)

Offline SI

• !!!
WTB Tension meter
« on: November 19, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »
I am interested in purchasing a Tension meter for screens if someone has an extra.  Just wanting to see if there is a used unit out there for purchase before I go buying a brand new one.

Thanks,
J

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: WTB Tension meter
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:11:19 PM »
I have an extra one. Still in the case and only used once.

E-mail me: shane@scrimshawscreenprinting.com

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »
Would anyone specifically advise against buying a tension meter online from China?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 03:13:20 PM »
Would anyone specifically advise against buying a tension meter online from China?

$60 ebay ones from China should be OK. I have not seen one, but how bad could it be? Just for getting started and being able to tell what's going on with your screens, this should work. As you get better and the precision and consistency of the measurement become more important, you can spend the money on a nicer version.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 11:18:59 PM »
Kind of being a Debbie downer here but unless your a shop that prints very high tech stuff which some here do, or like to keep your screen's (Roller Frames) all at a certain tension you want use it as much as you think you need to.  Only time I pull mine out is to check new static screen's and check after the first run or messing with our roller frames, other than that it collects a little dust.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:13:39 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 06:43:14 AM »
Absolutely. It seems like a lot of money to spend to just have a way of knowing if my screens are good or due for re-meshing.
I visited a guy today who remeshes screens and he showed me a reading on his meter: I was stunned to realise that what felt like a high tension screen by hand was less than 11 newtons...

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 09:04:30 AM »
IMO a tension meter is a must have item. Otherwise you're the guy who is judging the how much air is in your tire by looking at them and not using a gauge to set it to psi. Screen tension drops gradually and you do not realize it. Soon your printing on 11 nm screens.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 11:52:12 AM »
I was an all static screen shop until I bought a tension meter.
After I got brand new unused screens and measured them, I decide to go with Newmans.
Some of them came in around 13 newtons before first use. They would probably be around or lower than 10 after a first use and a reclaim.
Thank to the meter, I'm now trying to print all with Newman frames (Still have a few statics for a single color prints)

Offline SI

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 05:43:31 PM »
Shanarchy I sent you an email about this, thought I did the other day but it must have not went through