Author Topic: 5 key factors to achieve a great spot white print with plastisol  (Read 7170 times)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: 5 key factors to achieve a great spot white print with plastisol
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2015, 09:27:07 AM »
A few years back I used Wilflex Artist, liked it, but when I tried to order some from Nazdar Source One, was told that it was discontinued, prompting the search for a replacement.
Is it back or is it just a "down under" thing?

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2015, 12:31:15 PM »
The lower the viscosity of a white:  The better it performs at low temps.
---- You get that ink at working temp on an auto, and it becomes very runny.  Typically losing the opacity you liked at lower  temps.

The higher the viscosity of an ink:  The poorer it performs at low temps.
--- You get that ink at working temp on an auto and it maintains a good viscosity for higher opacity prints  I.e.  a better looking white.

Can you make a lower visc white perform better at working temps?  Absolutely, however, you are now creating a work around in order to MAKE that white ink work for you. 

Depending on your shops parameters, working temps will vary from 80 degrees to 100 degrees.

Inks are tested in the Lab at approximately 72 degrees.

I know for myself, we try to keep our board temperatures at around 130 degrees when running.  Lower if possible.

This keeps the working temps of my inks a bit lower than most shops I have been in.

I have not touched on inks becoming runny or getting gritty as that's a different discussion.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2015, 05:40:10 PM »

A few years back I used Wilflex Artist, liked it, but when I tried to order some from Nazdar Source One, was told that it was discontinued, prompting the search for a replacement.
Is it back or is it just a "down under" thing?

The ink is technically named Artist Plus White, so perhaps it is a rehash version of the original ink? I can't imagine we get anything that isn't available in the US since everything is imported.
I haven't tried many inks but this seems to be the local area go-to ink for cotton.

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2015, 09:39:28 PM »
I thought Artist Plus White has phthalates. They still sell it in Indonesia because they import it from Polyone factory in China.

I have started to use Rutland Street Fighter 2, I find it creamer than Artist Plus White and it is way cheaper than Artist.

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2015, 02:51:15 AM »
This is a very possible reason, as far as I know phthalate inks are unrestricted in Aus. I should probably pay more attention to this detail...

Offline serevi

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2015, 04:11:16 AM »
I might need to dig a little deeper, but every screen supplier and re-mesh operation that I have looked into here only offers T mesh. When I've asked about S mesh I don't really get any results, but lets leave that aside until I've done more searching and assume there is no regular supply of S mesh in Australia: If I am going to import my own mesh it makes sense to also go to retensionable frames.
Any recommendations for a retensionable frame system with S mesh options that has a good price/quality balance? I'm assuming I wont be able to afford the best. Shurloc vs Newman? Is this question going to derail the thread topic :P

You need to ask for thin mesh. Kiwo supplies premeshed frames. Murakami S-Mesh no one stocks.